What is the Stupidest Thing you Have Done, or are Still Doing, With Your Tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
....is the stupidest thing you have done ,or are still doing with your tanks ? you know it's bad but you do it anyway? Like extra food, treats or water changes?

One thing I do , well don't do, is use heaters... I live in Florida and I keep thermometers in all my tanks, no heating/ cooling problems though.

Not doing enough water changes and feeding to much. I do a weekly 70% PWC but I still have extremely high nitrates. Bleh.

I Dont Use a siphon to get water back into the tank after my pwc
Oops
:hide:

Aww I tried to add a rubber lip pleco to my tank and my other fish ate him, no body, no fish. LOL

Refilling my 60 gallon tank with a 1 gallon jug after water changes, it takes forever but is the only way to get water down the stairs.

Not buying a large tank to start out with. We all get there anyways, why not cut to the chase? ;)

Wow I thought my water change idea took a lot of work!!

I started off with a 16 gallon bow-front starters kit , and a large bout of ick

Sometimes I find myself succumbing to the impulse buy :X I have 10 gallon with more fish then it should. I rationalize it to myself, the more plants I haves...the more fish I can! It's not so true tho :(

Yikes!!!

After establishing my new tank for three months, I was so excited about Ghost shrimp and that you could see the babies in them and how interesting they were, so I bought 30 almost all pregnant, so I could see them everywhere and have babies (had no clue), and my fish always acted hungry so I fed them a lot. They went into my 18 gal. didn't know much about water testing.

Went away for a week when I came back the water was a opaque, swirling, sparkly, cream color. Couldn't see the fish. Changed the filter two times in a week, kept trying to change the water, three different pet stores told me to three different things, filters, water changes, numerous chemicals, changed the filter again after the 2nd week. Finally on the verge of exhaustion and despair, one of the new fish employees went to get a more seasoned guy, and you know what he says.......

Nicely..."Stop, and don't do anything".............."wait". (DON'T DO ANYTHING...WHAT???) You have done too much. Don't worry, btw, stop feeding them so much :( and guess what, after every single thing I had done wrong, which WAS everything, I lost all the shrimp, maybe a Danio, but it was all right, I had a bacterial bloom. That's all. I was killing them with kindness!!! Now I know better. Although I still like to feed them often just less quantity.

:facepalm:

well

Adding 4 ghost shrimp to my aquarium wasn't a good idea. They lasted for about 24 hours. I saw one of my tiger barbs with a pair of legs sticking out of its mouth.

Oh, and yesterday I fed them four times because they were begging for food. I can't say no when they look at me like that!:fish2:

Putting my female betta temperarly in my guppy tank. She was in the breeder box, for spring break, two of my guppies decided to "jump the fence" into the box. :(
I should have known better, she's back at work now.

Too Much with the Gravel Vac...upset the BB caused a bloom and put my African Cichlid Tank into a Mini Cycle about a month ago. I was Feeding Broccoli and pieces got all over....My quest for the Perfect Clean tank I should have just worried about the Big Pieces and let the Chinese Algae take care of it....

I thought I could keep guppies with angels. They lived peacefully for a bit, but I eventually had to move them to my 10 gallon.

Hi i keep finding room for just one more tank and yes this will be the last one:lol: overfeeding aswell:oops: my tiger shovelnose eat my angel.....:hide: It also eat a soribum lima!

hmmm,gotta be when i impule bought a rainbow shark. that 6 dollar fish ended up costing about 200 dollars. not including the fluval 405...

alLexX said:
hmmm,gotta be when i impule bought a rainbow shark. that 6 dollar fish ended up costing about 200 dollars. not including the fluval 405...

Lol, the solution is always to buy another tank, not return the fish right? :)

Back
Top Bottom