Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: How do you pick how to stock your tanks? (I assume you all stock compatable species)
I like a tank that is nice to look at without regard to what lives together in nature 8 33.33%
I stick to species that cohabitate in nature. 8 33.33%
I stick to a group of fish (example catfish, cichlids, ect.) 2 8.33%
I try to try my hand at every species avaiable, and so try to always stock something new 3 12.50%
Other (explain below) 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your "Aquarium Phylosophy"?

when you sit down and choose how to set it up and stock a tank what philosophy do you follow?

Old 11-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
I try to try my hand at every species avaiable, and so try to always stock something new. If i fish dies of one species i never buy that species again(usually/ besides guppies and a few others if i really enjoyed them) Wierd philosophy but whatever. I also try to stick with fish that cohabitate in nature

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have really move to the "recreate" a part of the world philosophy
Old 11-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like to keep different species. The main reason for me seting up another 20gal is so that i can keep other fish.

Also i do like creating a piece of the world so i might look into it as i wait for my luminaire to arrive!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I guess it is well known that my 75 gal is an Amazon biotope...at least it was until my oldest son bought me two bala sharks for my birthday back in April, so now it's an "equatorial biotope".

My 30 gal is my mixed cultures tank. So long as it's labled peaceful/community/tropical on the package, it is welcome in the tank.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I ask here first, if it is a good idea.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
I tried to keep my 55 strictly Amazon, but the platies really needed a home besides my 29. So, I joke that they have come down from Mexico to visit their South American relatatives. LOL

My 29 is a mish mosh of mostly Asian fish (gourami, cherries, rasboras) with an 'alien' pleco and blue parrot platies. It's hopeless.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 11-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyred
I tried to keep my 55 strictly Amazon, but the platies really needed a home besides my 29. So, I joke that they have come down from Mexico to visit their South American relatatives. LOL

My 29 is a mish mosh of mostly Asian fish (gourami, cherries, rasboras) with an 'alien' pleco and blue parrot platies. It's hopeless.
yea for a while in had and "illegal alien" in my 75, in the form a a very fat tiger barb who was running from the law... :P
Old 11-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I had it to do over again I would be much more strict about who goes where...right now I have South America, various countries in Asia, and I think a bit of Africa in the 55.....

I even managed to poison my 5g native fish tank with a betta (temporary fry control), snails from Malaysia, and a pleco from South America....

The other 5g has Florida, South America and wherever cherry shrimp come from.....and Malaysia again....

Sweet lord. I'm a biotopist's worst nightmare.

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoperson
If I had it to do over again I would be much more strict about who goes where...right now I have South America, various countries in Asia, and I think a bit of Africa in the 55.....

I even managed to poison my 5g native fish tank with a betta (temporary fry control), snails from Malaysia, and a pleco from South America....

The other 5g has Florida, South America and wherever cherry shrimp come from.....and Malaysia again....

Sweet lord. I'm a biotopist's worst nightmare.
IDIC - Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. - Vulcan Philosphy.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com