What is your favorite thing about fishkeeping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
Everyone has to have something they enjoy about aquariums, or else nobody would keep them! I'd like to hear what the one thing you love about your aquatic friends is. For me, it is very satisfying to see my fish or shrimp responding to/exploring new things I put into the tank (including my hand ?).

I love how I can hand feed some of me eels/loaches. Also personality fish like my JD greet me every day after work and it just is nice to see she notices me even if it's just for food.

Fish are a great stress reliever for me after a long day at work. Nothing else works better :)

Caleb

I like being able to see all my hard work pay off week after week in tanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like figuring out all the problems in it. How to make this run better, how to silence flow, how to make the water crystal clear

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like when my fish spawn, makes me feel like I finally have done something right. That and watching my plants grow!

The sound of running water is only matched by beautiful fish.
Either alone is a pleasure to me and my senses ,but both is the buzz I dig!
Breeding is big time IMO for pleasure also!(the fish you silly people!)

Watching my fish enjoying life, perfectly healthy and me knowing that I did something right finally, and that I always can have something to be proud of :)

Personally I really enjoy the hobby in and in and of itself. Keeps me busy and they are relatively low cost pets that I enjoy just as much as a cat or dog, and they don't chew my shoes or scratch my walls. It's really satisfying to watch them grow, and nursing most new fish back to health makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside ?

I enjoy the science and researching aspect as well as progressive learning. But mostly I enjoy recreating habitats as close to nature as possible and watching the inhabitants thrive gives me great pleasure and satisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To be quite honest: Nothing!! Tanks are work and spending money and constant attention; all three things I hate!!

But it's all made worthwhile when you come home from work, sprinkle some food in the tank, and watch the cats get nuts on some flake. :)

Also pondering just how big I could get these guys to grow... Would love to see them get over 5", but LA says 5 is about max... But, they're going to have a much larger environment in the future and will only be sharing it with a generic pleco, and without any other fish to compete with, they ought to grow up big and fat and eat whole earthworms as treats! :D

Anyways, tank keeping sucks. :p

- CK

Lol - I think parcels arriving and trying out new gadgets would have to be up there :)

Mainly just watching what they get up to for me.

a) plants. I looooove plants. I would never have a cichlid tank cause, plants. (I hate outdoor gardening)
b) science stuff. SCIENCE, *****!
c) tinkering/gadgets/working in my tanks

a) plants. I looooove plants. I would never have a cichlid tank cause, plants. (I hate outdoor gardening)
b) science stuff. SCIENCE, *****!
c) tinkering/gadgets/working in my tanks

Don't rule out all cichlids because of plants. Rams, kribs, apistos, etc (y)

I enjoy many of the things others have already mentioned. I love the science aspect and working to create and support a healthy environment in my tanks. I love learning about both fish and plants. I enjoy watching my fish and plants thrive, and troubleshooting when problems arise.

I hate hauling buckets of water and having soggy shirts

I love the beauty of the fish, shrimp and plants, the sound of the running water, an inexpensive pet, and how the fish are seemingly swimming through air.

This is going to sound a bit smug but I think fish/plant keeping is about the toughest challenge there is out of the normal range of pets. We're part vet, science professor, artist, chemist, environmental director and general workbody.

The garden out the back I put some ferts on and water. That's it, fruit arrives and I guess pruning/netting. I know it's more complex but most of my garden problems I can solve easily.

Love other pets and love when the cat sits out the front for a pat but this is a greater challenge, although not tinkering and stopping from buying more stuff is a downside (sort of ?).

Oh yeah, and there's great forums like this one where i can talk about aquarium stuff and not have to shake people awake or promise bribes...

Last edited:
Looking at their adorable little faces, watching them eat, among other things, and watching our shrimp glide around the tank... they sure are amusing! :D

Back
Top Bottom