Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: favorite type of tank
salt 6 25.00%
fresh 12 50.00%
brackish 0 0%
salt and fresh 2 8.33%
salt and brackish 0 0%
fresh and brackish 2 8.33%
i don't have a preference / all three 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafeet85 View Post
But that's only if you want a fish only tank. But most saltwater enthusiasts want coral and thats where we jump dramatically in cost and maintenance.
Ive had a fish only system for 6+ years and I'm completely content with keeping it that way..Angels ,triggers,wrasses and puffers are far more interesting to me than boring ol' corals...I understand your point though,,,people look at those beautiful full reefs in awe(i do too) and want to do it ,then realize the costs involved....Guess all i'm saying is don't discount an awesome FOWLR system,,they can be just as amazing to gaze into as any reef IMO...For the record i do manage to keep a variety of mushrooms and rics,,thats about it though,,my angels always went for anything else i have ever tried..

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely freshwater. Salt is nice, but I have plenty of choices with freshwater. And I don't like the smell or feel of saltwater. Always hated the beach.

Sometimes, I feel like it's the bloods vs. the crips when it comes to salt and fresh. haha

Old 01-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Definitely freshwater. Salt is nice, but I have plenty of choices with freshwater. And I don't like the smell or feel of saltwater. Always hated the beach.

Sometimes, I feel like it's the bloods vs. the crips when it comes to salt and fresh. haha
What? I guess you havent tried salt..thats all

If you look at my profile pic, you can sort of guess that i love the water haha
Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The smell of saltwater makes me dizzy and whenever it's on my skin, it hurts. My boyfriend has a 54g cube that's salt. It's nice and all, but I'm going to stick to fresh.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I like freshwater best but only because I haven't has a sw setup, maybe in the future! Saltwater seems so much harder lol. What 14 yr old has the budget for a sw tank? Except Gboy66, and maybe a few others. But it was a rhetorical question

Gotta love the ocean :fish:
Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
The smell of saltwater makes me dizzy and whenever it's on my skin, it hurts. My boyfriend has a 54g cube that's salt. It's nice and all, but I'm going to stick to fresh.
Are you sure that when the salt water is on your skin, its not on a cut? Lol
Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Are you sure that when the salt water is on your skin, its not on a cut? Lol
Some peoples skin might be more sensitive than others
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by George9
I like freshwater best but only because I haven't has a sw setup, maybe in the future! Saltwater seems so much harder lol. What 14 yr old has the budget for a sw tank? Except Gboy66, and maybe a few others. But it was a rhetorical question

Gotta love the ocean :fish:
Agreed, the cost is killer. Thank god i have my brother to split the costs with me!

I am actually in the middle of the two. I believe that a densly planted, aquascaped fw tank is just as awesome as a decked out reef tank. i love both.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Freshwater. I like saltwater and reefs but I would never try it unless I'm already well-off and independent and it's a big enough tank to be manageable. I can't imagine the maintenance on a five gallon tank for saltwater and no one is going to be committed as me when I move to college to take care of an already-hard to take care of saltwater tank. FW maintenance is just a quick and simple water change w/ Prime that my siblings will manage. I also don't have enough money. It's just not practical for me. Perhaps when I'm older.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

My brother and my dad both have terrible reactions to salt water. They had a miserable time when we took a family vacation to Florida. Their skin gets sore and puffy and it burns, and it still hurts even when they try to soak it off.

I prefer FW because it's easier to find supplies for in my area, and just easier to deal with all around, IMO. I had one 15gL SW before, and it was just a pain in the butt. I gave it away to a classroom. The fish are pretty and all, but so are FW fish. Besides, in the land of 10,000 lakes, there are hoards of free FW plants for the taking.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com