What Is Your Job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As a young aquarist I am curious to find out what jobs do you guys have. Knowing how expensive the aquarium hobby is I wonder how do you guys/girls tend to come up with money for 75,100,200, and larger aquarium set-ups. I thought if I want to be a serious aquarist I should be a Icthyologist, but then there is the money factor and I don't know if Icthyologists make alot of money. But I do know some people have the money to make a large(75 gal. and up) reef systems(reef aquariums being the most expensive). So I kindly ask for what job do you have, because I still want to be a aquarist when I grow older but I am confused in what job to get.

I personally don't make THAT much money, I just save the money I can for aquariums. But I work for NBC in Colorado Springs as a photojournalist. Television doesn't pay much in Colorado Springs, but the job is the best! :mrgreen:

I work as an administrative assistant for a construction company in nj. I don't make that much, so I save, and look for sales!

PBirdsong...my father works for NBC in NYC.

I went from unemployed to carrying mail for USPS for the summer. I cannot wait until my time is up.

I'm actually on my second career. The previous job is not important but it did lead to the current one. I am the manager of Physical, Information and Investigation Security for a rather large financial firm.

The job is great but sacrifices are still made when it comes to the tanks, fish and equipment. Buying stuff used and via the internet saved me tons of $$$.

I also don't make much but I can't expect to make too much considering I just graduated form college in December. I am an Office Manager and Insurance Agent for an insurance agency. Also, I don't go out and do too much stuff on weekends because I try to save my money for tank upgrades.

I'm with everything else on this, I look for sales and only buy cheap. For example, I just recently ordered a Stealth heater from Big Al's because it's only $20 but from the lfs they sell them for $40. I have to wait 2 weeks to get it (they are backordered), but at least I'm getting them for half the price of the lfs. Tanks are only purchased on sale and all the equipment I buy from Big Al's. With fish I price shop and compare quality. Then of course we save for most of the large purchases. I've had the 55 gal tank since January but am finally setting it up now. I'm still waiting on the heater to come in. That's how we got the 150 gal tank. IMO, I'd rather save and wait for a quality product than to buy a cheap produce right away. By doing that you are saving yourself from buying multiple products. Ie: The heater. The one that came with the tank was a glass one that didn't have the number readings on the outside. It was kind of like you had to guess and wait 24 hours and then move the dial accordingly. The new one I had to pay for, but it is a quality heater. AND, buy in pieces. When you have saved enough money for the tank, buy the tank, then wait until you have enough money for the filter, then the stand and so on.

Ok, sorry for this being so long. :D

I'm a stay at home mom. So I bring in 0 income. I have to rely on my husband for any thing I get for my tanks. And believe me when I tell you that is a rare thing. Our 1st and main concern is always bills and we usually have just enough to squeak by. But some times there are deals that are just too good to pass up, like my 150 gallon sw. I got that one for free. :D

I prefer to be known as She Who Must Be Obeyed, but the rest of the world sees me as a stay at home mom. I do work 10 hours a week at my local pet shop, gives me a few bucks to spend and gets me out of the house.
I have relied 100% on garage sales, newspaper ads and word of mouth to buy my equipment, and sales to buy my fish. For example, my LPS (the one I work in, but don't yet get a discount)has 2 for 1 Tuesdays on fish. So I have bought most of my fish in pairs there. Birthdays, anniversaries and Christmases have all been aquaria themed too.
My husband has a good job in auto manufacturing, but with 4 kids there's not a whole lot to splash around. Keep your eyes and ears open, scour garage sales and newspapers and save your pennies, and you can keep aquariums while working at McDonald's.

It shouldn't matter what our jobs are...You should pick your job based on your interests. Money isn't everything, happiness is much more important as long as you have enough money for things you need. Go to college and your choices will expand and so will your paycheck!

tracygh said:
I prefer to be known as She Who Must Be Obeyed, but the rest of the world sees me as a stay at home mom.

Hahaha thats to funny

I'm a student and in about a year I will teaching. I have two tanks (one 75gal planted) and Ive saved and looked for deals..

So my income is 0 and I seem to manage hehe

I'm also a stay at home mom and rely on my husband for my aquatic needs. Thankfully he's very understanding and supportive of my hobby. :D

I am a career paramedic. I just got a promothion at work and now my official title is Director of Paramedic Services. I was a field supervisor before this, working 24hr shifts, some holidays and weekends. Now I am pretty much a Mon-Fri. desk jocky. It is a change that takes some getting used to.

Money isn't everything, happiness is much more important as long as you have enough money for things you need.
LOL theres a contradiction if i ever saw one.....

unfortunatly, money makes the world go round.
the more i have, the more i seem to spend.

Aluminium Boat Builder by trade, for 8 years
Now a 3d CAD Designer for the largest engineering company in the world.

Menagerie said:
carrying mail for USPS for the summer. I cannot wait until my time is up.

You're scaring me!
:snipersmile: :2gunfire: :uzi: :zook: :gangsta: :rocket: :shotgun:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a PhD research biochemist. I spent ten years after college in intensive training for a job that pays the equivalent of what a retail store manager earns.
I do it because I find my work intellectually satisfying and of great importance to people suffering from disease. I also enjoy the company of like-minded people who also work on interesting research projects and love to discuss them. On the other hand....maybe I was dropped repeatedly on my head as an infant...I'll just let the guys with the straitjacket decide.

I save money to buy fish stuff. I also don't drink coffee or smoke, which if you add it up, could probably buy a complete 125 gal SW tank in a year (assuming 2 coffees a day and 2 packs a week).

Right now I've got two jobs. The first I work as a research assistant in a Physical Chemistry lab down at the U of Illinois. The second I work as a lab technicial making Li-ion batteries. I just save save save, and then splurge to feed my addiction. Luckily no one has been able to come up with the plecs I'm looking for. Then I would have some trouble.

I join the low-income crowd and maybe I can best them! LOL! :mrgreen: I'm on disability and I receive social security disability, food stamps and the like. My income was assessed for some service and found to be 118% of the poverty limit (which means I make $20-$40 over the poverty line for my state and county). Needless to say, I look for good deals on my fish stuff. Frugality Rules!

Moral of the story, you can enjoy this fish hobby whatever your income or circumstances. It is just how you prioritize your spending.

Hope that helps!
coolchinchilla :hat:

You know its kind of funny....so many people said on this thread they make little money and one said "money isn't everything"..My job is selling heavy construction equipment (Bull Dozers, Excavators, Backhoes...etc.) the money is pretty good and it is getting better ..but i absoutly depise the job..i hate it..i can bearly get myself to get in my truck and got to work every single day. here it is 6;30 am and i should be out the door..i'm sitting here doing this...enjoying what you do means a lot more than you might think

Freelance writer, zoologist, and starting tomorrow, I will be working 5 hours once weekly bagging fish for a local wholesaler for the weekly orders (I get credit and first crack at what he gets in).

Quote:

Money isn't everything, happiness is much more important as long as you have enough money for things you need.

LOL theres a contradiction if i ever saw one.....

What I meant was, as long as you have enough money to live it's not important that you make tons of money for all the unneeded wants you think you need. Everyday enjoyment in your daily life (work) is more important.

I'm a stay at home mom that has successfully convinced my hard working husband that fish keeping, amoung other things, broadens our kids horizons and enhances their appreciation for nature and all things livings. Plus he understands that when I'm happy we're all happy and when I'm not........ :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom