Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
What Is Your Job?

As a young aquarist I am curious to find out what jobs do you guys have. Knowing how expensive the aquarium hobby is I wonder how do you guys/girls tend to come up with money for 75,100,200, and larger aquarium set-ups. I thought if I want to be a serious aquarist I should be a Icthyologist, but then there is the money factor and I don't know if Icthyologists make alot of money. But I do know some people have the money to make a large(75 gal. and up) reef systems(reef aquariums being the most expensive). So I kindly ask for what job do you have, because I still want to be a aquarist when I grow older but I am confused in what job to get.

=] ~:Andrew:~ [=
Old 07-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to PBirdsong
I personally don't make THAT much money, I just save the money I can for aquariums. But I work for NBC in Colorado Springs as a photojournalist. Television doesn't pay much in Colorado Springs, but the job is the best!

Old 07-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I work as an administrative assistant for a construction company in nj. I don't make that much, so I save, and look for sales!

PBirdsong...my father works for NBC in NYC.
Join the Eastern PA/Greater Philadelphia Forum! Click here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=7825

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
I went from unemployed to carrying mail for USPS for the summer. I cannot wait until my time is up.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
I'm actually on my second career. The previous job is not important but it did lead to the current one. I am the manager of Physical, Information and Investigation Security for a rather large financial firm.

The job is great but sacrifices are still made when it comes to the tanks, fish and equipment. Buying stuff used and via the internet saved me tons of $$$.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I also don't make much but I can't expect to make too much considering I just graduated form college in December. I am an Office Manager and Insurance Agent for an insurance agency. Also, I don't go out and do too much stuff on weekends because I try to save my money for tank upgrades.

I'm with everything else on this, I look for sales and only buy cheap. For example, I just recently ordered a Stealth heater from Big Al's because it's only $20 but from the lfs they sell them for $40. I have to wait 2 weeks to get it (they are backordered), but at least I'm getting them for half the price of the lfs. Tanks are only purchased on sale and all the equipment I buy from Big Al's. With fish I price shop and compare quality. Then of course we save for most of the large purchases. I've had the 55 gal tank since January but am finally setting it up now. I'm still waiting on the heater to come in. That's how we got the 150 gal tank. IMO, I'd rather save and wait for a quality product than to buy a cheap produce right away. By doing that you are saving yourself from buying multiple products. Ie: The heater. The one that came with the tank was a glass one that didn't have the number readings on the outside. It was kind of like you had to guess and wait 24 hours and then move the dial accordingly. The new one I had to pay for, but it is a quality heater. AND, buy in pieces. When you have saved enough money for the tank, buy the tank, then wait until you have enough money for the filter, then the stand and so on.

Ok, sorry for this being so long.
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 07-26-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm a stay at home mom. So I bring in 0 income. I have to rely on my husband for any thing I get for my tanks. And believe me when I tell you that is a rare thing. Our 1st and main concern is always bills and we usually have just enough to squeak by. But some times there are deals that are just too good to pass up, like my 150 gallon sw. I got that one for free.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to tracygh Send a message via Yahoo to tracygh
I prefer to be known as She Who Must Be Obeyed, but the rest of the world sees me as a stay at home mom. I do work 10 hours a week at my local pet shop, gives me a few bucks to spend and gets me out of the house.
I have relied 100% on garage sales, newspaper ads and word of mouth to buy my equipment, and sales to buy my fish. For example, my LPS (the one I work in, but don't yet get a discount)has 2 for 1 Tuesdays on fish. So I have bought most of my fish in pairs there. Birthdays, anniversaries and Christmases have all been aquaria themed too.
My husband has a good job in auto manufacturing, but with 4 kids there's not a whole lot to splash around. Keep your eyes and ears open, scour garage sales and newspapers and save your pennies, and you can keep aquariums while working at McDonald's.

*of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most*
Old 07-26-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
It shouldn't matter what our jobs are...You should pick your job based on your interests. Money isn't everything, happiness is much more important as long as you have enough money for things you need. Go to college and your choices will expand and so will your paycheck!
Just keep swimming, just keep swimming......

Vote here for Aquarium Advice.

55 gal
2 gold dojo loaches
3 white tetras
4 zebra danios
3 neon tetras
1 pleco
2 ADFs
Old 07-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Originally Posted by tracygh
I prefer to be known as She Who Must Be Obeyed, but the rest of the world sees me as a stay at home mom.
Hahaha thats to funny

I'm a student and in about a year I will teaching. I have two tanks (one 75gal planted) and Ive saved and looked for deals..

So my income is 0 and I seem to manage hehe

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com