What makes you stick with aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
For me, I like how everything isnt set in stone. Some things aren't known yet in the hobby which makes it interesting, I always want to hear about the next new thing. For example, LEDs are a relatively new thing with reefs ( at least new in popularity). There has been a burst of information on them since then. Always learning new stuff.

So that's me, how about you?

I just love fish too much to stop. It's a learning process and I like to learn about them. There's always something new to learn and figure out.

Is all still fairly new to me. I've only had a aquarium for 4 months. For right now I keep going because there is always something for me to learn or try. I've become most excited about my bettas lately and debating on breeding them.

just the fact that i can have an ecosystem with fish that would never see each other in the wild getting along perfectly

I dunno. If I actually sat back and looked at all the problems I have had with my tanks, I would quit this hobby lol. I remember one time my fish were dying (This was because I was super stupid and hadn't joined this site yet), and I said I wanted to sell my tank.

But my mom made me keep it, and my fish survived, and I run 3 tanks, about $600 paid for all of it. I wouldn't let go for the world. There's always something new they can throw at you, and the different species are soo cool!

It was cheaper thank drinking.

Ok....well IT WAS cheaper than drinking but not anymore.

What I spent on some new fish this weekend could have bought me a REALLY good bottle of Bourbon. A REALLY GOOD bottle.

Oh well...I got a thank you note from my liver ;)

Watching them. Fish are so complex if you take the time to notice, and watch. I especially love it because with a realistic look, you have a complete small ecosystem snippet in your home.

Watching them. Fish are so complex if you take the time to notice, and watch. I especially love it because with a realistic look, you have a complete small ecosystem snippet in your home.
That's something else I forgot to add. I heard somewhere that watching fish lowers your blood pressure and relaxes you. They are super cool to watch.

If you want to include them as your pets, which I do, then they are relaxing. I can sit and watch them for hours. Heck, even doing tank maint, is a stress releiver.

Tetra1990 said:
If you want to include them as your pets, which I do, then they are relaxing. I can sit and watch them for hours. Heck, even doing tank maint, is a stress releiver.

I agree! The maintenance for me is honestly kind of fun! My fish depend on me and seeing my fish swimming about with each other is my fuel for maintenance. I've found using washed out gallon milk jugs really helps out. I used to use solo cups with my 10g, then I tried it with my 50g. HA!
Didn't make a dent.

Happy Fishkeeping!

xx wryly

I think a lot of why I keep going is due to my plants. Watching new sprouts and having everything go from mowed down to lush is something I love- mind you my whole house is full of plants.

I agree. I always do water changes and maintenance when I get home from work. It brings me out of my frantic high-strung work mood and let's me get relaxed and back to home mode.

Plus I could watch them for hours- anyone else have a bedside tank they lay and watch in the dark?

Luna09 said:
I think a lot of why I keep going is due to my plants. Watching new sprouts and having everything go from mowed down to lush is something I love- mind you my whole house is full of plants.

I agree. I always do water changes and maintenance when I get home from work. It brings me out of my frantic high-strung work mood and let's me get relaxed and back to home mode.

Plus I could watch them for hours- anyone else have a bedside tank they lay and watch in the dark?

Yep, my 29 gallon is in my bedroom. One of my favorite things to do is watch my tank at night with the light on for awhile. It's so soothing.

Tetra1990 said:
Yep, my 29 gallon is in my bedroom. One of my favorite things to do is watch my tank at night with the light on for awhile. It's so soothing.

Lol do you also feel guilty because the light is on so late? I always feel bad and try not to do it too much but I can't help it :)

I am sticking with my aquarium, because i wasted way to much money and time to stop now. Sure is nice and cool what i did.

I don't know why. I've had so many freaking problems, and its eating more than a whole in my wallet, but its fun (when I'm not ripping my hair out) lol

I think because no matter what there's always something to do with them, I'm always trying to get something just perfect even though I know that's impossible.. I can always do something with them to help my little finned friends:)

phoenixkiller said:
They are relaxing... but not when I am emptying 25 gallons of water with buckets...

Lol. That's what pythons are for!

Back
Top Bottom