What’s really necessary for a baby registry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
The baby is due in early October and the baby shower will be next month. I simply refuse to fly across the country to see my family when I will feel like the human equivalent to Fudgy the Whale closer to the due date. Right now, I’m so confused as to what is really needed during the first year and the more I look on-line, the more confused I get. You can get “babies’ first everything” to a bottle warmer to burping pads/blankets (and if the baby is going to be spewing on them, why are they so cute?) to expensive “systems” to duplicates for both the house and car. I just want to cry!

Okay moms and dads of wee little ones and experienced moms and dads, aunts and uncles, grandmas and grandpas, sitters, nannies, etc. I need your help! What do I need to ensure the baby will be adequately comfortable without an apartment full of STUFF and that I will not be sending Trevor out to the store three times a day? Also, any books that you recommend or don’t recommend would be helpful and all advice is appreciated. Additionally, I need advice on bottle feeding (medically, the natural way is not an option at this time). Again, books, advice, tips, types of bottles/systems recommendations are all welcome.

Baby Bjorn baby carrier is very helpful. You can carry baby around and actually do things. I had a few different kinds but the Bjorn was the most useful and comfortable and you can have baby face you or face out.

For baby formula don't be afraid of the powder. It is way easier to prepare than I ever expected. No need for the liquid.

Moose

Here's what I can remember:

All the fancy crap for the crib with the bumper pads and all.....total waste of money as you aren't actually supposed to use them due to a higher risk of SIDS. So I had beautiful bumper pads that cost around $100 bucks that were never used.

Also I only used my changing table for the first couple of months after that I always changed my kids on the floor as it was easier and there was no risk of falling. So in my opinion the changing station was a big waste of money. Better to buy a nice piece of furniture that can be used throughout the childs life.

I also rarely used bibs but my kids were both breastfed and rarely spit up so it might be different with bottle feeding.

The highchair you won't need for awhile but they're expensive so it's cool if you can put it on your registry and get someone to buy it. The real fancy ones with lots of detail and carved wood are beautiful but impossible to clean. Remember there will be food in every little nook and cranny the highchair has so really think of "cleaning ease" when picking one out.

The toys I used most were the swing, the exersaucer, and the playmats they lay on the floor with toys overhead. Bouncy seats are wonderful too.

I used tons of blankets so get alot of those that wash easy and make sure you have really light weight ones.

When my babies were infants they wore hats alot......my mother insisted on it. My daughter however had tons of outfits that came with that goofy headband with the bow. I never used those.

I never used the mittens they sell to keep them from scratching their face....I just made sure to keep their nails short.

You do need a baby bath for the first few months as it's much easier than trying to bath them in the tub unless you plan on bathing with the baby everythime you bath him/her.

My babies never like baby shoes so while they are adorable don't buy too many newborn shoes.....they're generally too heavy for the babies feet. They however loved and always used the baby slippers and slipper socks.

Also I gave up on the diaper pail rather quickly. All my diapers went right outside to the trash. Otherwise the nursery smells like a diaper pail.....yeck!

I liked the baby mobile over the crib.....not sure if the babies cared one way or another but I'd say get one.

My son loved the kick piano that you could tie at one end of the crib and it would play music whenever his feet kicked it. My daughter never kicked it or showed any interest in it ever.

Books....you need lots of books. Reading to your child everyday is soooo important even when they don't understand anything it sets up their love of reading right from the get go. So get lots of books. Books you'll be interested in reading and then some of those fabric and plastic books the babies can chew on.....which they will.

Clothes and diapers are obviously great gifts but it's impossible to say for how long or during what season the baby will be using what size so don't get too many or some will go to waste. My babies had clothes they never wore because by the time they were the right size it was the wrong season and so forth.

I like the baby towels with the hoods and I used them alot with my infants.

I also used a baby carrier alot even in the house so try some on and see which one you like best.

Playpens....I had two...one for our house and one for when we went to someone elses house. Neither of them were ever used!!!!! Total waste of money in my opinion. They're really only useful when the baby is on the move and once they're on the move I never had the heart to cage them up. However I know some parents use them alot. Maybe they just weren't for me.

I'm not a mom, but when my sister had babies and fed formula, she never heated her bottles. She just used room temp water which made it much easier when she was on the go.

A bouncy seat is a must have!

They sell dresser top changing pads for when they are tiny, so when they get older you still have a functional dresser.

A lot of my friends like the sleep bags.

Diapers diapers diapers LOL. Baby wipes are a must as well. Diapers are so confusing nowadays. My son is 22 today and when he was a baby diapers weren't complicated.

I remember what my parents bought/had when my sister was born:

- they had lots of simple baby shirts (like tiny white Hanes or whatever with simple designs). So around the house the baby is clothed, but they can be thrown in the washer and replaced quickly without ruining a nice piece of clothing.

- I think this would be important, especially since the due date is in October and it is getting colder, are "footie pajamas" to sleep in at night (you know, the full body, fleece, body suit).

- My parents had a baby wipe warmer. Its not a neccesity, but it was easy to hook up and it kept the baby wipes warm.

- Lots of baby socks too keep the babies feet warm.

- a baby thermometer

and that's all I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned

From the experiences with my nephew:

A big diaper bag.
Bottles, plenty of bottles. As bad as it sounds, you'll lose them or break them.
Diaper changing pad
plenty of burp rags.
Baby holder thingy (lol, not sure on the name but you can strap it around yourself)
Rocking chair (if you don't have one)
Stroller that has the detachable pumpkin seat which turns into a regular stroller and car seat.
High chair
Diapers/wipes
Lots and lots of onesies
Hats for winter months
Bath towel with the head thing attached
Don't get all into the cutesy clothes. At that age they will go through several outfits a day if they are having issues with the formula/milk. Hunter would throw up every time he ate. And I don't mean just spitting up either. He went through 6 different formulas until they could find one that did not upset his stomach.
Baby monitors
Diaper Genie

That's all I can think of. If I repeated anything that was said above, sorry.

If I repeated anything that was said above, sorry.
Please, repeat away!! If it's really needed, I need to know :D

As bad as it sounds, you'll lose them or break them.
8O I'll take your word for it.

Rocking chair (if you don't have one)
Oddly enough Trevor came with one!

Please, all advice is welcome along with book recommendations and anything that I should avoid!

I'll ask Mandi about the books. I know she received tons of them from her sister and she read every single one of them.

Register for a couple sets of sheets. She was washing them all the time and it's easier just to have 3 or 4 sets.

Blankets, get a couple of those. It's nice to have one in the car, one in his/her bedroom, one in the living room, and one in diaper bag. It sounds like a lot but you never know when you'll need/want one.

I agree about the changing table, doesn't seem worth it. Sure it keeps things together, but you'll never use it after the first few weeks. When you smell a poopy diaper you'll just change him/her wherever you are at. lol

Mandy keeps two diaper bags. One she leaves in her car at all times. It contains diapers, wipes, extra clothes, binkies, etc. The other she carries with her whenever she goes places with him and has the usual (a few diapers, wipes, one set of clothes, bottle, formula, water). If she ever runs out of diapers or forgot to grab an extra onesie, she can just run to the car. You can use anything, doesn't have to be a diaper bag but that's just what she used.

For smaller registry items scan some binkies (you'll go through many of those), bottles, extra nipples, formula bags, teething rings, and bottle washer.

Skip on toys until you get to know what your child likes. Some are universally good (like the saucer, bouncer, etc) but others are not. My nephew had this bouncer that hung in the doorway. It didn't look safe but it was. You basically just clamp it at the top of the doorway and put him in the seat. I used it all the time when I was cleaning or doing the laundry. I could keep an eye on him and he was having fun.

There is also this rubber mat that you use to change your baby on. I think my parents had a few of these. That way you can lay down the mat and change the baby on the floor, bed, kitchen table (ha), where ever and you don't have to worry about how clean the surface is, or how dirty the surface might become. They are not very big and fold up easily.

There's a couple of thing I can remember not being able to live without 10 years ago (yes, the baby is 10 now YAY )

~onesies....those little bodysuits that snap at the crotch. Perfect for everything
~wipewarmer.....those wipes get cold just sitting there and boy, would my kid scream..
~the book "What to Expect the First Year" couldn't have lived without it. Consulted it just as much as "What to Expect When You're Expecting"
~diapers, diapers, and more diapers LOL
~cloth diapers (make great burp rags, mess cleaners, and all sorts of other handy uses)
~nursery monitor (I loved mine)

Skip the diaper Genie....that thing was stupid....I hated it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I spent yesterday reading on-line reviews of various products that were recommended trying to find the good ones. I easily spent two hours trying to figure out what car seat to get :roll: Then I tossed things on a Target registry and called it a day.
If anyone has any book suggestions, I am open to them! When I am not on AA or knitting, I'm reading (unless I'm napping :sleeping:).

My sister's baby is due tuesday. My sister is so practicle, her entire registry had diapers and bottles and all that crap... not a single toy. I got her the 3 in one toy from fisher price thats been on TV lately. It starts as something the baby bats at and then converts to a rocking horse and a 5 key piano. Doesn't cost that much either, I think it was close to $40. No toys for a kid, geez. Leave it to the uncles to think of this stuff.

EDIT: This one Good thing about it is that it lasts a good 3 years, by that time she might have another kid.

From what I've seen, the mom and female relatives git all the practical, well-researched, time-tested stuff, and the uncles get the things the baby just LOVES. It's good to have a fun uncle or two!

OOOOh, babies are so exciting! Let me see what I can think of

receiving blankets. have LOTS of these.

Playtex bottles with drop in disposable liners. These were FABULOUS! always a fresh one, and they reduce the amount of air baby swallows. Less air + less burps and barfs. (didn't use with first two, did use with second two, DEFINITELY thought they were better)

lots of sleepers

lots of onesies

lots of fitted cribsheets (at least 4)

shoes are purely cosmetic until they start to walk, and then get them GOOD walking boots like we had when we were kids. I just had to put both my younger kids in orthotics because they never wore walking boots as babies.

Soothers...personally I would recommend NUK brand, they are the best shape for baby's mouth. Don't buy more than one until you know baby will take it. Once baby takes it, if he/she really likes it, buy several, you don't want to get stuck without one ;)

infant towels with hoods. wet babies are slippery.

CD's classical music, nature sounds, lullabies. I always have soft music in my children's rooms.

a good stroller is a must. Go to the stores and test them out for YOUR comfort, them request the one you like best. Things to keep in mind...terrain, are you walking on trails or only in the mall and on sidewalks? Speed, are you casually walking, or are you a jogger? a cup holder is very handy. Is the handle tall enough for you or do you have to hunch over? do the wheels turn or do you have to tip the stroller up to make a turn? does it corner smoothly? Can you puch it with one hand? Does it collapse/fold easily?
If you are into bicycling, do you want a bicycle trailer? If so, it is often worth buying a carrier system that converts into a stroller/jogger etc. I have a chariot and would recommend them in a heartbeat. http://www.chariotcarriers.com

a digital ear thermometer. again something I bought for baby #3 and wondered how I survived the first two without. They are so much cheaper now too. A good investment, they last for years and make life so much easier.

a decent backpack/diaper bag. Pick something that works for you, even if it isn't labelled a diaperbag.

A disposable camera/cheap camera with flash for the diaper bag. You never know when you're going to have a Kodak moment

carseat cuddlebag. I have been making these forever, and they are finally starting to be mass produced. They have a liner that fits right into your infant carseat with a cover that zips up and over, like a sleeping bag. Allows you to minimize bundling baby in bulky clothing which reduces the effectiveness of carseat harnesses.

baby-view mirror. about $3 at walmart, it's a convex mirror that suction cup mounts to your windshield under your rear view mirror. Allows you to see baby/backseat effortlessly.

battery operated swing. 3 of my kids loved this, one d it. was a godsend for 3 LOL.

portable playpen/crib. we had one from the getgo. Very nice to have the playpen for the once in a while that we used it at home, but hwat a blessing to know that wherever we went baby always had a safe, comfy and familiar place to sleep.

For you, you will most likely want to make sure you have a good firm support bra for that first month, even with not nursing. Depending on baby, you might also need to make sure you have plenty of quick change comfy outfits available for you. Unfortunately, sometimes a barfy baby results in frequent clothing changes for both mother and baby.

Now this last piece of info is going to sound bizarre, but bear with me. Many babies get diaper rash. Fact of life. Penaten and Zincofax are two favorite brands of bum cream, and very effective on basic diaper rash. HOWEVER, many babies get what appears to be a really bad diaper rash, but it won't go away. Putting regular bum creams on it will only make it worse. This is because more and more babies are getting not diaper rash, but yeast infections. A standard diaper rash is slightly red, irritated skin. There should be no breaks in the skin, and no raised bumps or areas.if there is any raised or broken skin, and/or the skin is an angry flaming red or hot to the touch, it is most likely yeast, not diaper rash. Treating it with bum cream will worsen it, because you will be sealing in the yeast and bacteria in it's warm moist environment and helping it to grow. You need to treat it with a topical yeast cream like NYSTATIN/NYADERM, available over the counter at your pharmacy. Yes, this is the same topical cream many women will purchase for themselves. There is also an over the counter cream called CALMOSEPTINE, your pharmacist may have to order this in for you. Mix equal part of these two into a small clean container (if you ask your pharmacist, he should give you one) and apply to your baby's sore areas at every diaper change (after cleaning well, of course) and you will see dramatic results. Visible healing with each diaper change. If your baby has broken skin, you can add an equal part polysporin to the mixture to help pormote healing of the broken skin as well.
My first child had diaper rashes so bad she would bleed. I thought I was a terrible mother, my doctor thought she might be allergic to her own . She was toilet trained at 20 months and of course that all stopped, but while she was in diapers...I was pulling my hair out over this! My second child was not so bad, he always had a mild bumpy rash, but no bleeding, so I was relieved. Then my third was born and we were back to this horrendous rash...looked like acid burns. I went into the pharmacy with a prescription for this calmoseptine bum cream, and the pharmacist laid Nathan out on the counter and opened his diaper up and said it was yeast, told me to buy the nystatin and mix it with the calmoseptine. I did, and his open bleeding sores had stopped bleeding and started to heal over in one diaper change. In 24 hours he had no open spots on him and all the lumps, bumps and raised areas were smoothed back down, and the hot flaming red was just pink. by the next morning he was back to perfect. Paula was the same, and many of my friends children...even one that I babysat. I swear by the stuff. Just keep it tucked away in the back of your mind :)

I will post more if I think of anything.
Good luck,

I will repeat:

The digital ear thermometer (non-invasive and an accurate temp in about a second).

Penaten cream....great stuff that has a zillion uses.

One of those infant carseats that detaches and has a handle for carrying.

Small music system for CDs to put the baby to sleep.

One of those pillow-things that positions the baby in the safest way for sleeping.

Powdered formula (research the types well, and always check your use-by dates), as Moose suggested, this stuff is easier than you would expect.

Oh my goodness--so much more to learn/keep tucked away in my (frequently failing) memory. I certainly have this thread bookmarked and take all the advice to heart. Now, I need to go test drive strollers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom