Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
There is also this rubber mat that you use to change your baby on. I think my parents had a few of these. That way you can lay down the mat and change the baby on the floor, bed, kitchen table (ha), where ever and you don't have to worry about how clean the surface is, or how dirty the surface might become. They are not very big and fold up easily.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to crazyred
There's a couple of thing I can remember not being able to live without 10 years ago (yes, the baby is 10 now YAY )

~onesies....those little bodysuits that snap at the crotch. Perfect for everything
~wipewarmer.....those wipes get cold just sitting there and boy, would my kid scream..
~the book "What to Expect the First Year" couldn't have lived without it. Consulted it just as much as "What to Expect When You're Expecting"
~diapers, diapers, and more diapers LOL
~cloth diapers (make great burp rags, mess cleaners, and all sorts of other handy uses)
~nursery monitor (I loved mine)

Skip the diaper Genie....that thing was stupid....I hated it.

"My name is Crazy Red and I'm an Aquariumaholic." ~~Melissa~~dedicated Ram breeder~~

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 06-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for all the suggestions! I spent yesterday reading on-line reviews of various products that were recommended trying to find the good ones. I easily spent two hours trying to figure out what car seat to get Then I tossed things on a Target registry and called it a day.
If anyone has any book suggestions, I am open to them! When I am not on AA or knitting, I'm reading (unless I'm napping ).

Old 06-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My sister's baby is due tuesday. My sister is so practicle, her entire registry had diapers and bottles and all that crap... not a single toy. I got her the 3 in one toy from fisher price thats been on TV lately. It starts as something the baby bats at and then converts to a rocking horse and a 5 key piano. Doesn't cost that much either, I think it was close to $40. No toys for a kid, geez. Leave it to the uncles to think of this stuff.

EDIT: This one Good thing about it is that it lasts a good 3 years, by that time she might have another kid.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Leave it to the uncles to think of this stuff.
That looks like fun!

Old 06-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
From what I've seen, the mom and female relatives git all the practical, well-researched, time-tested stuff, and the uncles get the things the baby just LOVES. It's good to have a fun uncle or two!

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
Old 06-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to tracygh Send a message via Yahoo to tracygh
OOOOh, babies are so exciting! Let me see what I can think of

receiving blankets. have LOTS of these.

Playtex bottles with drop in disposable liners. These were FABULOUS! always a fresh one, and they reduce the amount of air baby swallows. Less air + less burps and barfs. (didn't use with first two, did use with second two, DEFINITELY thought they were better)

lots of sleepers

lots of onesies

lots of fitted cribsheets (at least 4)

shoes are purely cosmetic until they start to walk, and then get them GOOD walking boots like we had when we were kids. I just had to put both my younger kids in orthotics because they never wore walking boots as babies.

Soothers...personally I would recommend NUK brand, they are the best shape for baby's mouth. Don't buy more than one until you know baby will take it. Once baby takes it, if he/she really likes it, buy several, you don't want to get stuck without one

infant towels with hoods. wet babies are slippery.

CD's classical music, nature sounds, lullabies. I always have soft music in my children's rooms.

a good stroller is a must. Go to the stores and test them out for YOUR comfort, them request the one you like best. Things to keep in mind...terrain, are you walking on trails or only in the mall and on sidewalks? Speed, are you casually walking, or are you a jogger? a cup holder is very handy. Is the handle tall enough for you or do you have to hunch over? do the wheels turn or do you have to tip the stroller up to make a turn? does it corner smoothly? Can you puch it with one hand? Does it collapse/fold easily?
If you are into bicycling, do you want a bicycle trailer? If so, it is often worth buying a carrier system that converts into a stroller/jogger etc. I have a chariot and would recommend them in a heartbeat. http://www.chariotcarriers.com

a digital ear thermometer. again something I bought for baby #3 and wondered how I survived the first two without. They are so much cheaper now too. A good investment, they last for years and make life so much easier.

a decent backpack/diaper bag. Pick something that works for you, even if it isn't labelled a diaperbag.

A disposable camera/cheap camera with flash for the diaper bag. You never know when you're going to have a Kodak moment

carseat cuddlebag. I have been making these forever, and they are finally starting to be mass produced. They have a liner that fits right into your infant carseat with a cover that zips up and over, like a sleeping bag. Allows you to minimize bundling baby in bulky clothing which reduces the effectiveness of carseat harnesses.

baby-view mirror. about $3 at walmart, it's a convex mirror that suction cup mounts to your windshield under your rear view mirror. Allows you to see baby/backseat effortlessly.

battery operated swing. 3 of my kids loved this, one d it. was a godsend for 3 LOL.

portable playpen/crib. we had one from the getgo. Very nice to have the playpen for the once in a while that we used it at home, but hwat a blessing to know that wherever we went baby always had a safe, comfy and familiar place to sleep.

For you, you will most likely want to make sure you have a good firm support bra for that first month, even with not nursing. Depending on baby, you might also need to make sure you have plenty of quick change comfy outfits available for you. Unfortunately, sometimes a barfy baby results in frequent clothing changes for both mother and baby.

Now this last piece of info is going to sound bizarre, but bear with me. Many babies get diaper rash. Fact of life. Penaten and Zincofax are two favorite brands of bum cream, and very effective on basic diaper rash. HOWEVER, many babies get what appears to be a really bad diaper rash, but it won't go away. Putting regular bum creams on it will only make it worse. This is because more and more babies are getting not diaper rash, but yeast infections. A standard diaper rash is slightly red, irritated skin. There should be no breaks in the skin, and no raised bumps or areas.if there is any raised or broken skin, and/or the skin is an angry flaming red or hot to the touch, it is most likely yeast, not diaper rash. Treating it with bum cream will worsen it, because you will be sealing in the yeast and bacteria in it's warm moist environment and helping it to grow. You need to treat it with a topical yeast cream like NYSTATIN/NYADERM, available over the counter at your pharmacy. Yes, this is the same topical cream many women will purchase for themselves. There is also an over the counter cream called CALMOSEPTINE, your pharmacist may have to order this in for you. Mix equal part of these two into a small clean container (if you ask your pharmacist, he should give you one) and apply to your baby's sore areas at every diaper change (after cleaning well, of course) and you will see dramatic results. Visible healing with each diaper change. If your baby has broken skin, you can add an equal part polysporin to the mixture to help pormote healing of the broken skin as well.
My first child had diaper rashes so bad she would bleed. I thought I was a terrible mother, my doctor thought she might be allergic to her own . She was toilet trained at 20 months and of course that all stopped, but while she was in diapers...I was pulling my hair out over this! My second child was not so bad, he always had a mild bumpy rash, but no bleeding, so I was relieved. Then my third was born and we were back to this horrendous rash...looked like acid burns. I went into the pharmacy with a prescription for this calmoseptine bum cream, and the pharmacist laid Nathan out on the counter and opened his diaper up and said it was yeast, told me to buy the nystatin and mix it with the calmoseptine. I did, and his open bleeding sores had stopped bleeding and started to heal over in one diaper change. In 24 hours he had no open spots on him and all the lumps, bumps and raised areas were smoothed back down, and the hot flaming red was just pink. by the next morning he was back to perfect. Paula was the same, and many of my friends children...even one that I babysat. I swear by the stuff. Just keep it tucked away in the back of your mind

I will post more if I think of anything.
Good luck,

*of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most*
Old 06-18-2006, 03:14 AM   #18
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I will repeat:

The digital ear thermometer (non-invasive and an accurate temp in about a second).

Penaten cream....great stuff that has a zillion uses.

One of those infant carseats that detaches and has a handle for carrying.

Small music system for CDs to put the baby to sleep.

One of those pillow-things that positions the baby in the safest way for sleeping.

Powdered formula (research the types well, and always check your use-by dates), as Moose suggested, this stuff is easier than you would expect.
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Old 06-18-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Oh my goodness--so much more to learn/keep tucked away in my (frequently failing) memory. I certainly have this thread bookmarked and take all the advice to heart. Now, I need to go test drive strollers!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com