what to ask for for christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tank?

• Small SW tank

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • large FW tank

Votes: 21 61.8%

• Total voters
a few 10g tanks i was figuring on doing something like that but i can get the money for that just after a few of my mollie broods if she keeps having so many. what shrimp do you think would be the best? i'm not really into shrimp but they do breed fast and sell good so i was figuring on not getting so many but maybe a tank full. thanks. oh and CPDs would be ok tank mates for shrimp right?

The best selling shrimp would be RCS, yellow shrimp, and blue pearls. You should have separate tanks for each of them since they will interbreed and will produce "ugly" colored offspring, which will most likely be brown (the wild color form). You don't want a LOT of each to start a colony. You will want anywhere from 12-24 of each to seed each tank. I wouldn't house CPD's in any of the breeding setups as I'm sure they'll snag shrimp when they are smaller. You might think that's no big deal but when it's a dollar or two per shrimp that they are eating that can add up really fast.

Yup, mosses are great for shrimp and java is the cheapest since it is readily available.

Freshwater. If price is an issue, then even just maintaining a SW tank will cause some agony, especially with getting a 15g up and running, it's tough to get a stable small system running, especially without a large refugium attached.

There are still some very beautiful FW tanks out there, especially the planted tanks. You can also consider an african cichlid tank too.

The other benefit of the larger tank is if you'd like to eventually like to convert to a SW down the road, you already have the tank and some of the equipment.

The best selling shrimp would be RCS, yellow shrimp, and blue pearls. You should have separate tanks for each of them since they will interbreed and will produce "ugly" colored offspring, which will most likely be brown (the wild color form). You don't want a LOT of each to start a colony. You will want anywhere from 12-24 of each to seed each tank. I wouldn't house CPD's in any of the breeding setups as I'm sure they'll snag shrimp when they are smaller. You might think that's no big deal but when it's a dollar or two per shrimp that they are eating that can add up really fast.

I made a mistake... i put RCS and yellow together... yack... now it's hard to catch those little guys out... :rolleyes:

I have 55GL with stand but never set it up. My 29GL already cost me about $500 for all toys and stuff... but i vote for FW tank.

Back
Top Bottom