What to do when there is nothing to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Surely there should always be something to work on, tank-wise, right?

Whenever I'm in super-aquarium-obsessing mode I feel like I run out of things to work on, lol. I mean I can't constantly mess with my plants. It's not water change day. There's only so much I can work on.

I end up shopping online for aquarium stuff that I don't need and spending a bunch of money I don't have :whistle:

Funny because when I am "on the outs" with my aquariums (meaning it is not the hobby at the forefront of my mind) I get annoyed at having to do anything on them. There is no in-between with me :angel:

Obviously I just need to get another tank....

lol my spouse would murder me. Plus I have another one coming in a few months from some Kickstarter I supported that has plants growing from the top or something fancy.

Find a university with an aquaculture program and get a side job working there. I get more than my aquarium fix in the Aquaculture Research Center at my university. The room with my discus tank alone has like 20 tanks, and it's a 2 floor building. Then there's the room with the massive lungfish and the bichers and the flowerhorns, and the room with the sturgeon tank and the massive reef display tank and the native tank and the tidepool touch tank... and those are just the display tanks. Nevermind the rows and rows and rows of tanks filled with fish and shellfish for whatever research is going on. I could fishkeep there forever....

Oh, and if you like betta fish, there's a room lined with three shelves completely tanken up with 2.5 gallon tanks, each of which has a betta. There's like...200 of them. Last summer I had to breed them for someone else's project.

Last edited:
That would be seriously my dream. I am mad jealous of you, no joke.

I actually looked into going back to school but I just wouldn't have the time to make it work (which means I just don't want it bad enough, really). I have two kids so I have to be back every day by 3 for them to come home from school.

I don't think the closest universities to me have the kind of program that you guys have, anyway! There are some out at the coast but it is far enough that I couldn't commute :( I've totally looked into that!

That would be seriously my dream. I am mad jealous of you, no joke.

I actually looked into going back to school but I just wouldn't have the time to make it work (which means I just don't want it bad enough, really). I have two kids so I have to be back every day by 3 for them to come home from school.

I don't think the closest universities to me have the kind of program that you guys have, anyway! There are some out at the coast but it is far enough that I couldn't commute :( I've totally looked into that!

It's funny, because I've looked at some aquaculture graduate programs in the Pacific Northwest- if I recall, there's a really good one at one of the universities in Oregon that I was strongly considering. (Or it might have been in Washington) I'll have to go double check my list, lol.

Probably not the same, but if you ever want a marine science education without the expense (or the tanks, or the degree...) I could help you a little. I audiorecord all of my lectures in most of my classes. All kinds of interesting stuff- Intro to Oceanography and Marine Biology, Biology of Marine Organisms, Biology of Fishes, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Biology of Sharks.... Generally not supposed to just hand them out, but I think it's safe to say you won't be taking any classes in Maine anytime soon. It's not the same as working in the ARC though, I suppose.

I'll think on if i can use the knowledge somewhere if I take the time (and your effort). Practical application is important for the time investment. I appreciate the offer!

Sometimes I think I might just like servicing tanks for a living, kwim? I'm sure there is not much money in that, but it sounds so enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom