What to do with 5 gal or less aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, All!

I've seen several people on here asking about stocking a less-than-5-gal. aquarium and being told "nothing, throw it out!"

I agree with not having fish in there, but as I was researching how to set up a terrarium, I found some really cool images from people who have converted betta tanks into kick-butt terrariums....so if you have one, don't throw it out! Repurpose, recycle, make an awesome centerpiece :)

Photos taken from:
Terrariums for Venus flytraps and Carnivorous plants
boogaj: A Terrarium
Terrarium Pictures 3

Attachments

• terrarium 1.jpg
    terrarium 1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 240
  • terrarium 2.jpg
    terrarium 2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 284
  • terrarium1.jpg
    terrarium1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 196
Well if you wanted to go pico reefing :)...

"Dingusplease's 3g Pico Reef"

Great idea, i have a 25 L tank, never thought of doing something like that with it...thankyou

Thinking about setting up a saltwater tank gives me the nervous, cold sweats....I'm still figuring out fresh water :) Likewise, shrimp make me nervous, becuause they breed readily, right? I'm not sure I have the guts to cull the flock :ROFLMAO:

A planted water bowl sounds lovely too....all of the ideas do! Hmmm....turns out you do have options for nano tanks, whoda thunk it?

Shrimp do breed quick when they are happy but if you have too many you can always sell/trade them or even use them as live food for some fish.

Thinking about setting up a saltwater tank gives me the nervous, cold sweats....I'm still figuring out fresh water :) Likewise, shrimp make me nervous, becuause they breed readily, right? I'm not sure I have the guts to cull the flock :ROFLMAO:

A planted water bowl sounds lovely too....all of the ideas do! Hmmm....turns out you do have options for nano tanks, whoda thunk it?

Saltwater nanos really aren't THAT difficult if you do your research and make solid investments, so don't get the idea that you can never do a saltwater just because it's more difficult. Saltwater reefs are some of the most amazing and beautiful aquariums you can have IMO :)

Saltwater nanos really aren't THAT difficult if you do your research and make solid investments, so don't get the idea that you can never do a saltwater just because it's more difficult. Saltwater reefs are some of the most amazing and beautiful aquariums you can have IMO :)

I know! The last town I lived in, there was a fish store devoted to just saltwater...he had the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen, anywhere. The sheer variety corals and sea anenomes are just mind-blowing. Plus, yanno, I think owning a starfish probably belongs on my bucket list. I'm going to take the plunge someday, when I get the guts to and the funds to do it right(y)

I know! The last town I lived in, there was a fish store devoted to just saltwater...he had the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen, anywhere. The sheer variety corals and sea anenomes are just mind-blowing. Plus, yanno, I think owning a starfish probably belongs on my bucket list. I'm going to take the plunge someday, when I get the guts to and the funds to do it right(y)

Starfish are pretty cool, and there are a bunch of different types you'll find in a reef, as I'm sure you know. Many, however, are harder to keep bc they need very mature, large sandbeds in which to graze. But it can be done with proper care :)

Asterinas and brittle stars are two very common types of star, and even in my 3gal I have TONS of them. They're pretty cool, especially when you can view them in a very natural looking habitat :) doing whatever sea stars do.

One of mine ^

Starfish are pretty cool, and there are a bunch of different types you'll find in a reef, as I'm sure you know. Many, however, are harder to keep bc they need very mature, large sandbeds in which to graze. But it can be done with proper care :)

Asterinas and brittle stars are two very common types of star, and even in my 3gal I have TONS of them. They're pretty cool, especially when you can view them in a very natural looking habitat :) doing whatever sea stars do.

One of mine ^

0_0 thats...SOOOO COOOOOL. I don't need a fancy starfish, I just need a happy one that when someone asks me about my pets I can say "Oh, a dog, two cats, a starfish....." :ROFLMAO: Saltwater tank....someday, it will happen.

0_0 thats...SOOOO COOOOOL. I don't need a fancy starfish, I just need a happy one that when someone asks me about my pets I can say "Oh, a dog, two cats, a starfish....." :ROFLMAO: Saltwater tank....someday, it will happen.

Haha thanks. That one is an asterina, so only about the size of a raisin. The thing is, these guys have been known to eat coral which is why I remove all the ones I can find.

Hmm... I don't think anyone has ever done a just-starfish tank ;). You could be the first. I'll send you as many as I can catch :)

Back
Top Bottom