Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Originally Posted by MrPillow
Surely waste-water from flushing a toilet goes through extreme measures to ensure it is safe to be released into nature at a water treatment plant? Or at least I'd hope so LOL
You'd think so. There are regulations and recommendations about the disposal of dead fish and aquarium plants. I'm sure about there but they are alot more strict in Aus than in the states.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Im sure a dead fish is more sterile than my crap. At least id rather drink dead fish water than crap water if that makes any sense.

And i think mounting the flowerhorn would be awesome. They could give it a swimmy pose. Itd probably be expensive though

tarpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
How large is the flowerhorn? I used to do work in fish taxidermy and for fish that size, skin mounts are rare and difficult as well as expensive. Most places would use a fiberglass replica, but as it is not a typically used species they would have to case the molds themselves and that would drive up the price a bit as well. Some places use freeze-drying for small fish with success, but I'm not sure how common that practice is in this day and age.
MrPillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I bury my fish. NEVER have I had to flush them down the toilet. They were once living creatures, seems to be the right thing to give them a proper funeral, or at least make an effort to bury them.
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting thread ~ mine are always buried in one of the class terrariums. I did have students make headstones one year. At least the freshwater ones, don't think I've ever found a corpse from the saltwater ones.
the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
If the sewer systems can handle my B. M.
Then it can handle a dead fish, only ones I bury are the ones who are to big to make the great journey through the septic sea. ;/)
HAVAMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Mine get buried. Plus most of the fish I work with are to big to flush (I wouldn't even if they were smaller) I put them in something (casette case, little box) with ripped up tissue. They also get a little something to keep with them (a shell, etc).
1.1 Cons
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #18
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award
We bury ours in the gardens, flower or veggie.
Jamie.... "The fingers of natural selection are hovering over the delete button."
AA community rules: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow. I didn't realise how many people bury their fish! That is a good option, I would just feel bad burying them somewhere that I won't be living at. Like, in my apartment complex seems a little weird.

My flowerhorn is about five inches, I don't plan on him passing away anytime soon, of course. But, when he gets over a foot, he should be a decent size. I have family that are in the taxidermy business and I will ask them to see how much it would cost.

Burning sounds like a great idea. Have a little remembrance theme and everything. I really like that.

I think I will be casting my smaller fish and then framing them. That's my favorite so far. It helps to freeze them for awhile first, so it might freak out my roommate. haha. Well, she still hasn't noticed the frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.
55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
I've buried a couple larger fish outside, but I usually flush. Goes back to nature either way. If you've ever been to a sewage treatment facility, they have huge pools where bacteria break down any organic matter, and then water is filtered and treated. Wouldn't worry about disease, if it's good enough to stop E. coli in human feces then it'll stop and fish diseases too.

My tanks: 46gal Amazon - 55gal Crabitat - 28gal SW - 29g Vampire Terrarium
My Fiddler Crab Site
Shave the Whales!
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote

dead, dead fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com