Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahh. I should bury the carcass of fish that i have fileted under the plants rather than tossing them back in the water. Either way its used tho bc back in the water it becomes food

Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very true. I am really curious how much getting a flowerhorn stuffed would be. I will do some research.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I found a price list off of this site: Fish Taxidermy - Fish Mounts - Fish Replicas - Fish Taxidermist

"FISH TAXIDERMY - (Skin Mounts)
1. Freshwater Fish (Wall Mount) - $15.00 inch

$225.00 minimum.

2. Freshwater Fish - (Pedestal Mount) 2 Sides

$15.00 inch - Plus 50% extra.

3. Trout, Salmon, Some Saltwater Fish (Wall Mount) - $15.00 inch

$225.00 minimum.

4. Trout, Salmon, Some Saltwater Fish - (Pedestal Mount) 2 sides

$15.00 inch - Plus 50% extra."

So, it will be expensive. But, considering he is a $60 fish at three inches and will be worth much more if I had bought him at full grown. Comparatively speaking, I don't think this is that expensive.

I will e-mail them to see what they say. They will most likely think I'm crazy. But, I can always find someone local.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Skin mounts would be extremely, extremely difficult with a fish that size. I would look into a company which will do a casting of it and make a synthetic replica, will be cheaper, and last a lifetime. Skin mounts, especially small ones or fish with oily skin, fall apart after some time.

I would also look into a habitat mount, so it looks a bit less like a trophy you yanked out of the lake

EDIT: Just looked at the website you linked and they charge more for fiberglass replicas...strange... this seems to be the trend in the industry, I suppose they are a more profitable venture nowadays than skin mounts. When I was working in the field fiberglass was a much cheaper way to go.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have been thinking about this. I have a 10 ur old plecto and a 8 yr old golden saun. My two oldest and dearest fish. I know they can't last forever. I am thinking of having them mounted when they pass. But I heard that just a wax mold of them.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPillow View Post
Skin mounts would be extremely, extremely difficult with a fish that size. I would look into a company which will do a casting of it and make a synthetic replica, will be cheaper, and last a lifetime. Skin mounts, especially small ones or fish with oily skin, fall apart after some time.

I would also look into a habitat mount, so it looks a bit less like a trophy you yanked out of the lake

EDIT: Just looked at the website you linked and they charge more for fiberglass replicas...strange... this seems to be the trend in the industry, I suppose they are a more profitable venture nowadays than skin mounts. When I was working in the field fiberglass was a much cheaper way to go.
I e-mailed the guy/company to see what he says and next week at Thanksgiving, I'll ask around my family. I have lots of hunters and fishers, somebody has to know someone!

And the habitat mount is a great idea. I will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeff View Post
I have been thinking about this. I have a 10 ur old plecto and a 8 yr old golden saun. My two oldest and dearest fish. I know they can't last forever. I am thinking of having them mounted when they pass. But I heard that just a wax mold of them.
Well, hopefully this thread will help you out!

You can have a mount that is their skull and skin, with stuffing inside and then they paint the scales to look how they did in real life. Or, you can have a replica made out of fiberglass or wood. There are probably some other options out there too, but this is what I have found so far.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady

I e-mailed the guy/company to see what he says and next week at Thanksgiving, I'll ask around my family. I have lots of hunters and fishers, somebody has to know someone!

And the habitat mount is a great idea. I will keep that in mind.

Well, hopefully this thread will help you out!

You can have a mount that is their skull and skin, with stuffing inside and then they paint the scales to look how they did in real life. Or, you can have a replica made out of fiberglass or wood. There are probably some other options out there too, but this is what I have found so far.
It has. I just hope the type don't come in handy any time soon.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeff

It has. I just hope the type don't come in handy any time soon.
Tips* auto correct fail.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Of course, same here. I actually feel kind of bad talking about this. Sebastian, my FH, is watching me right now. He might suspect something.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Of course, same here. I actually feel kind of bad talking about this. Sebastian, my FH, is watching me right now. He might suspect something.
Lol. Well party boy. The golden saun follows me overtime I am near the tank. He trys to attack every oneelse. Which may be his end. He hits the glass crazy hard sometimes. And the enforcer, my plecto, well he is indestructible...

Tags
dead, dead fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com