Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, so I got my e-mail back and was pleasantly surprised.

He said that this was not an odd inquiry at all, that he has done many pet fish. He actually owns aquariums and even has a flowerhorn.

It would not be difficult at all and would be similar to a sunfish. The pricing starts at $225 for him and goes up with size and added things.

I'm glad this got cleared and I was pretty sure that I'm not the only fish-keeper that has thought of this. There are plenty of people crazy in love enough to want their fish around forever.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

The resin mold idea sounds pretty sweet to me. I would probably end up doing it if I could find somewhere

Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #43
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Where would I even find a resin mold? I am not so sure that I would put fish in it, but it would be awesome to put some bugs I have kept in it. I like to keep praying mantises, but they only live about a year grand total.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do a lot with resin. You can't put anything in resin that is even remotely wet, not even damp. The resin won't cure well, and the item will rot. If you can dry the fish first (maybe using silica "gel", which is really sand) then it MIGHT work. But it has to be bone dry, all the way thru.

I have a large collection of resin molds, but my primary supplier recently retired so I can't give you a link. Check out local craft stores, or google it.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbird View Post
I do a lot with resin. You can't put anything in resin that is even remotely wet, not even damp. The resin won't cure well, and the item will rot. If you can dry the fish first (maybe using silica "gel", which is really sand) then it MIGHT work. But it has to be bone dry, all the way thru.

I have a large collection of resin molds, but my primary supplier recently retired so I can't give you a link. Check out local craft stores, or google it.
Silica gel is sodium silicate, just so you know. It absorbs water. Sand is silicon dioxide, and does not absorb water.

If you leave fish out overnight, they do dry out fairly well(I know from experience, I've had fish jump out before...). That and a little extra drying might be enough for them to be resin coated.

--Adeeb
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Borax is extremely effective at drying out fish carcasses. Used it all the time when performing skin mounts, especially of oily species.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea, you can pick up a variety of things to create a mold at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joanna's, etc. Or you can look up a recipe online.

I would dry the fish out between glass plates to get them a good flat piece instead of the curling up that they tend to do.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady View Post
Yea, you can pick up a variety of things to create a mold at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joanna's, etc. Or you can look up a recipe online.

I would dry the fish out between glass plates to get them a good flat piece instead of the curling up that they tend to do.
wow... that sounds hard core... i think i will hit up a pro if i decide to go that route... but hopefully it never happens... my fish will live forever
Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #49
come get me tang police!

I get the idea of burning the deceased fish, but what happens if the smell makes you hungry?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I get the idea of burning the deceased fish, but what happens if the smell makes you hungry?
Then you know to pan fry the next one.

Tags
dead, dead fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com