Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, you guys are crazy.

Apparently, (from what I have heard) pet oscars, pacu, etc. taste alright. Need a lot of spicing or a stronger sauce because they don't have the natural taste? Or something to that effect. There is a guy who goes around to fish shops and takes the big fish that people dropped off and aren't selling. He then has a cook-out with the family. I can see where he is going with this. Better to humanely put them out and then put them to use than have them suffer in a tiny aquarium due to the lack of research of the original owner. Whether or not I agree, is another story and I don't think I could bring myself to eat it.

And about putting your fish in a mold, just find some art student for $20, I'm sure they could fix something neat for you. Or send it to me and I'll do it. haha.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a half-grown red belly piranha back in college until someone dumped a bottle of beer into the tank. I preserved it in a bowl of rubbing alcohol for a couple of weeks (alcohol will actually dry out the water) then air-dried the fish and put it into a Riker mount. That was about 30 years ago now, and the fish doesn't look much different than it did when it went into the mount. Not as plump or brightly colored as when it was alive, but overall still in good condition.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I live in an apartment complex and I bury my dead fish. I plant a tulip on top of them. We have private entrances so I do have a little bit of a yard of my own. Still, I bet it would look really weird if anyone saw me outside at night with a lantern and a spoon digging in the dirt. I do flush inverts, but I bury fish that were important to me.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka
I had a half-grown red belly piranha back in college until someone dumped a bottle of beer into the tank. I preserved it in a bowl of rubbing alcohol for a couple of weeks (alcohol will actually dry out the water) then air-dried the fish and put it into a Riker mount. That was about 30 years ago now, and the fish doesn't look much different than it did when it went into the mount. Not as plump or brightly colored as when it was alive, but overall still in good condition.
Riker mount? Is that lee the standard one u ses
Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow. Very interesting. Was there any smell while oit was in the alcohol?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady View Post
Wow. Very interesting. Was there any smell while oit was in the alcohol?
Only the smell of alcohol, it was an original experiment in preservation (nothing I'd ever heard of before) that turned out surprisingly well.
The riker mount is a black-framed glass top box filled with something like cotton. I think I still have it packed away somewhere, but don't know for certain offhand.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's pretty awesome. Great at-home way to dry out the fish.

I was thinking that while the fish is being dried out before the mold, it might rot some. So, this is an alternative to look into.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I could NEVER imagine eating one of my fish. It would be like eating my dog. I eat fish all the time but could never imagine eating a 10" jack dempsey or something...
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Even Jesus himself was a cichlid eater.... :P
Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Really? How so?

1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, dead fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com