What to do with dead fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, this is going to be a weird thread...

I was curious, if anyone has done anything interesting with their fish when they have passed on. I was thinking about this because my bettas and my flowerhorn are very dear to my heart. I couldn't just flush them or throw them in the trash.

One of my friends in particular keeps scorpions and tarantulas, amoung lots of reptiles. Whenever one of his scorpions or tarantulas passes away, he freezes them and then puts them in a resin mold (like those necklaces or key chains).

I think this would be neat to do with a fish. Or maybe mount it? Or bury it with a headstone?

I'm most likely the only weird-o that is thinking this, but does anyone have any thoughts?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Alright, this is going to be a weird thread...

I was curious, if anyone has done anything interesting with their fish when they have passed on. I was thinking about this because my bettas and my flowerhorn are very dear to my heart. I couldn't just flush them or throw them in the trash.

One of my friends in particular keeps scorpions and tarantulas, amoung lots of reptiles. Whenever one of his scorpions or tarantulas passes away, he freezes them and then puts them in a resin mold (like those necklaces or key chains).

I think this would be neat to do with a fish. Or maybe mount it? Or bury it with a headstone?

I'm most likely the only weird-o that is thinking this, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Bury them?

I can see that. I haven't had to flush a fish in awhile. Only casualties have been my killies and a few danios that jumped. They all went into the trash...

But, I couldn't find anything about putting a fish in a mold. I'm wondering if that is a viable alternative.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I can see that. I haven't had to flush a fish in awhile. Only casualties have been my killies and a few danios that jumped. They all went into the trash...

But, I couldn't find anything about putting a fish in a mold. I'm wondering if that is a viable alternative.

Ya..the only fish i have lost lately have been due to stupid reasons (eel swimming into powerhead intake)

That is a good idea! Make like a necklace out of the molds hahah

Oh no! I'm so sorry!

It does sound interesting. I was thinking maybe framing the molds? I think that would be so interesting.

And I just thought of putting them in a jar. I have a baby something shark in a jar that my friend gave me. Only problem is, they would eventually break up.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Oh no! I'm so sorry!

It does sound interesting. I was thinking maybe framing the molds? I think that would be so interesting.

And I just thought of putting them in a jar. I have a baby something shark in a jar that my friend gave me. Only problem is, they would eventually break up.

Ya, i think it would be depressing to see the actuall fish, but if i had a sort of caste of it, that would be a good way to remember the special ones.

Not a good idea to flush dead fish. If they died of a disease it can be introduced into nature. (Assuming it's not already there).

When a fish dies that's close to me I wrap it in tissue and bury it in a pot plant. Or they go in the trash :p

Surely waste-water from flushing a toilet goes through extreme measures to ensure it is safe to be released into nature at a water treatment plant? Or at least I'd hope so LOL

I've always been a fan of a good cremation. Make a nice campfire, give him a little wooden box (cedar cigars boxes work well, and smell rather nice in a fire as well...), and send him on his way back to nature.

MrPillow said:
Surely waste-water from flushing a toilet goes through extreme measures to ensure it is safe to be released into nature at a water treatment plant? Or at least I'd hope so LOL

You'd think so. There are regulations and recommendations about the disposal of dead fish and aquarium plants. I'm sure about there but they are alot more strict in Aus than in the states.

Im sure a dead fish is more sterile than my crap. At least id rather drink dead fish water than crap water if that makes any sense.

And i think mounting the flowerhorn would be awesome. They could give it a swimmy pose. Itd probably be expensive though

How large is the flowerhorn? I used to do work in fish taxidermy and for fish that size, skin mounts are rare and difficult as well as expensive. Most places would use a fiberglass replica, but as it is not a typically used species they would have to case the molds themselves and that would drive up the price a bit as well. Some places use freeze-drying for small fish with success, but I'm not sure how common that practice is in this day and age.

I bury my fish. NEVER have I had to flush them down the toilet. They were once living creatures, seems to be the right thing to give them a proper funeral, or at least make an effort to bury them.

Interesting thread ~ mine are always buried in one of the class terrariums. I did have students make headstones one year. At least the freshwater ones, don't think I've ever found a corpse from the saltwater ones.

If the sewer systems can handle my B. M.
Then it can handle a dead fish, only ones I bury are the ones who are to big to make the great journey through the septic sea. ;/)

Mine get buried. Plus most of the fish I work with are to big to flush (I wouldn't even if they were smaller) I put them in something (casette case, little box) with ripped up tissue. They also get a little something to keep with them (a shell, etc).

Wow. I didn't realise how many people bury their fish! That is a good option, I would just feel bad burying them somewhere that I won't be living at. Like, in my apartment complex seems a little weird.

My flowerhorn is about five inches, I don't plan on him passing away anytime soon, of course. But, when he gets over a foot, he should be a decent size. I have family that are in the taxidermy business and I will ask them to see how much it would cost.

Burning sounds like a great idea. Have a little remembrance theme and everything. I really like that.

I think I will be casting my smaller fish and then framing them. That's my favorite so far. It helps to freeze them for awhile first, so it might freak out my roommate. haha. Well, she still hasn't noticed the frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

I've buried a couple larger fish outside, but I usually flush. Goes back to nature either way. If you've ever been to a sewage treatment facility, they have huge pools where bacteria break down any organic matter, and then water is filtered and treated. Wouldn't worry about disease, if it's good enough to stop E. coli in human feces then it'll stop and fish diseases too.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom