What to do with naughty little dog???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of you may remember that I have 3 dogs, and I got the 3rd about a year ago. He's a pomeranian mix that was rescued from a puppy mill so he came to us at a year old, not potty-trained, and completely unsocialized. He's a wonderful dog, gets along great with the other 2, and generally does very well with the potty training... but he can't really be trusted while we are gone, so we have been crating him. The other 2 are fine while we're at work so we leave them out, and we crate the 3rd dog in the bedroom.

Last week, he figured out how to let himself out of the crate. :roll: I came home, and there he was. Figuring it was a fluke, we crated him again the next day. I got home that afternoon and not only had he let himself out again, he had also scratched up his muzzle a bit too... just rubbed the fur off of it and rubbed it raw, kinda like a rug burn. It's not that big of a deal, but now I'm worried that he could actually hurt himself trying to make a break for it. But, if we leave him out, he poops on the floor.

What would you do, if this was your dog? Keep in mind that pet-sitting and/or doggy day care is not in the budget.

He is probably missing your company. I have found it is best to leave the house for 5 minutes and then come back in and if he hasn't done anything wrong, reward him. Keep doing this and just stay away longer each time. Soon he will know that you will be coming back. Make sure you leave, so that he can't see you.

Never seen a Pomeranian that could jump more then 2ft so what about a baby gate in the kitchen to at least keep poop in an easy to clean area. I assume you don't have a fenced in yard.

he wont get out of a verikennel
I'm afraid he might hurt himself trying.

what about a baby gate in the kitchen to at least keep poop in an easy to clean area. I assume you don't have a fenced in yard.
I do have a fenced yard, but I'm just not comfortable leaving him out there all day. Plus, it's really hot and he's black. Our baby gate doesn't reach across the opening where the kitchen is, but the house is all ceramic tile so cleanup isn't that hard.

And Scott, that's a great idea, but he'd have to get used to it over a weekend since we both work during the week. The part that I'm stumped about is that he didn't always do this! He used to just go in the crate and bark, but not get into such a frenzy trying to bust out. I can't figure out what is going on!

You could try it out during the weekend, just leave more often and increase the time throughout the day. That might at least get him started.

If your floors are tile, what about one of those "puppy pens" while you try out roka's method? I don't think they are too expensive and will give your pooch a little more space than in the kennel. I am pretty sure you can get cheaper ones than these, but just so you know what I mean, http://www.futurepets.com/Puppypens.htm

I have used a clock radio when kennel training. Helps keep them calm and they dont feel alone.
You could install some chicken wire 1/4" square mesh to stop him from being able to get his mouth through the kennel.
The last thing that comes to mind is can the other 2 dogs get into the room, would be kinda like teasing "nah nah your in the box and were not"

Just some thoughts best of luck.
Hammer

Back
Top Bottom