What type of fish do I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyItsDizzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It was sold as a swordtail but after I got more swordtails I soon realised that if this is a sword tail it is not the common type but could it be a completely different species?

Haha thank you I'll look into it, anyone know for sure what it is?

I think he needs a mate, all my mollies and swords are paired up and this In is left alone, wondering in this breed so I can get a mate for it

It's a high fin lyretail sword tail. They have been around for a while (seen than in pet stores in the early 70s).

Not sure on their availability. You may have to check with LFS and see if they can be special ordered.
On a side note, the males of this hybrid will not breed due to the elongated, but non-functional anal fin. Non-lyre tail males are mated with lyre tail females and roughly half of the offspring will express the lyre tail trait.

Not sure on their availability. You may have to check with LFS and see if they can be special ordered.
On a side note, the males of this hybrid will not breed due to the elongated, but non-functional anal fin. Non-lyre tail males are mated with lyre tail females and roughly half of the offspring will express the lyre tail trait.

Oh wow that's really interesting so cool haha hopefully he get bigger though cause he has such awesome traits thank you for you help

Can we close this thread or does it always stay open?

Back
Top Bottom