Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

When I was 9 or 10, my dad had a small tetra tank for a while. It just disappeared one night... Didn't have my own till about 4 years ago. Got a 29 gallon with 3 green terror sisters from my father in law. They were so much fun, always together and always friendly. (except at dinner time)

Old 12-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine was a male guppy that started out as a joke we played on my best friend when I was 6 years old. He had won a female guppy at the county fair and asked me if I could watch her for him while he was on vacation. We bought a male and put them together but hid the male when my friend came home and I gave her back to him. Considering he had had her for about a year, it was quite a surprise when 3 weeks later she had babies. Meantime, this male was living in a tupperware container in my closet when my friend was at the house. That was the start of a now near 50 year hobby and the expenditure of hundreds of thousands of dollars learning about and keeping so many varieties of fish through my fish businesses. Wouldn't change a thing either lol

Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I was 5, i won a goldfish at a fair. We brought it home in the bowl of coloured water, and put it into a cleaner, larger bowl.
Then we moved to another continent not long after, but gave it to our neighbours. We expected the fish to live for a month or two.
Somehow it lived 6 or 7 years! I don't think anyone expected that kind of committment... lol
Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

These are great stories. Seems like that cruel fair game gets a lot of young newbies started. I haven't see that game in a while. I wonder if that's still common.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's a lot less common now. The carnival in my city doesn't have any animals.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I was 6 my mom bought me a 5 gallon tank and not knowing anything we bought 2 bala sharks, a Pleco, and a minnow. In a couple days the sharks killed the Pleco and ate the minnow.
As confused as we were why that happened after the store employee told us that there would be no problems we just kept the sharks. Until one day they disappeared. Knowing that try were the only two in the tank we were confused until we looked behind the dresser the aquarium was on to find them on the floor already dead. Yeah we gave up on aquariums after that incident. Looking back we should have done research, I feel bad for the fish.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some of the stuff beginners get told is sad. I had a guy at Meijer try to tell me I could put 15 Danios in a 3 gallon tank. I knew better, even though I was just beginning my research at that point.

I had some sword tails as a kid that like to jump out of the tank.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Mine was a unusually aggressive Andinoacara rivulatus which started my passion for cichlids.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #29

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
A betta from 6 years ago- died in a year. My own, yes. But my family has ran a tank for 12 years.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

My ex wife got my daughter a betta shortly after we split. It didn't end well. I'm secretly prepping a 5 gallon that will appear on Christmas with a betta. She always asks for one when we go to the LPS. I think she'll really dig it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com