What was your first fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sixtyfou

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's interesting to consider what made us take up this hobby.

I was about 8, and my grandpa gave me a couple of feeder gold fish from his pond, and my mom got me a 10 gallon tank. I kept all kinds of weird stuff in that tank. Crawfish, turtles, swordtails, "suckers", oddly enough that those feeder goldfish made it the longest in my cruel child hands. One of the grew to about 6 inches.

Mine was betta that i kept in a 3 liter tank with no heater ( i live in Boston ) and changed the water a couple times a month. He surprisingly lived 3 years.

It's amazing what those bettas can live through. My brother kept one in miserable conditions for years.

My tank as a kid was more of a holding ground for stuff I caught. I rarely ever got anything from the pet shop. No surprise the few thing I did get from the pet shop didn't make it long. I was probably 12 before I realized that stuff from the river in Ohio couldn't live with tropical fish:)

My first fish? A successful colony of discus that ended up breeding. It was a very healthy planted 125 gallon tank. I was six at the time. Lol, I can't even do that now! My first fish was a school of guppies.

Mine was a purple/red betta named Betty. I kept him in a 5 gallon, and he lived about 6 years.

My fist fish was a Betta. He was blue and green and his name was Rex. He lived in a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank, unheated and unfiltered plastic tank given to me by an old friend. At the time I didnt know much about fish or how to care for him. I was surprised that he lived 2 and a half years in my care, plus however long on the shelf at Wal-Mart.

Mine was a goldfish, a comet I think. Eventually it went into a pond and got enormous. Then onto tropical fish (crazy mix as I had no idea on stocking), native fish and crayfish.

A 1' catfish an a 1' 1/2 long crawfish, caught from the drainage ditch at age 10. I fished them out dipping with a pool net! The unloved happily for a extended period. Can't say forsurrle how long

My first fish was a black moor back when I was a kid and was cruelly killing far too many fish. Since I got back into the hobby my first fish was a red lyretail killifish.

First was a comet goldfish in a bowl. I know it's terrible haha my parents never really liked pets so I had to start on my own when I got older and could afford everything.

It's amazing what those bettas can live through. My brother kept one in miserable conditions for years. My tank as a kid was more of a holding ground for stuff I caught. I rarely ever got anything from the pet shop. No surprise the few thing I did get from the pet shop didn't make it long. I was probably 12 before I realized that stuff from the river in Ohio couldn't live with tropical fish:)

I totally did this as a kid. Even had a snapping turtle I caught that was about the size of a silver dollar. Other than that, there were a few state fair goldfish. Some of them lived for like 5 years.

It's kind of fun to keep stuff from the river in a tank. I might convert the grow out tank to a brackish tank in the spring, and see what my daughter can catch. We got some tadpole last spring, but it was a catch and release plan.

Hi my first fish was also goldfish kept in a tank with no filter or anything,basically kept adding fish till the inevitable happened and lost the lot,gave up fishkeeping for nearly ten years then sis got two goldfish for christmas and she hates fish:blink:so I asked if i could have them and was determined to do it right! Found a good local shop with amazing staff and and as they say the rest is history{that was nearly thirty years ago:eek:}
Interesting to see that is how most of us started:cool: The goldfish is a legend:fish2: :fish2:

Scooter blenny was my 1st saltwater, he is 2 now and still my favorite! My first freshwater was probably a neon tetra.

Three zebra danios in 1960 when I was 12 years old. I've loved fish ever since. My grandma helped me pay for the tank and fish for my birthday. Sweet memories. OS.

I was about 10 years old when I was at a carnival where you threw a ping pong ball into a small fishbowl. I won a goldfish. We were sent home with him in a plastic bag. He lived in a galvenised pail for a couple of days, then moved to a one gallon fish bowl, then to a five gallon tank. Eventually he was traded to the lfs for something else.

I had fish growing yp but it was a family tank, when i bought my first fish tank my first fish was a yellow lab cichlid.

Back
Top Bottom