What would you do differently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would have purchased a bigger tank.

+1 bigger tank, now my wife won't let me get a bigger tank:( Also, I went cheap and didn't get enough substrate so I have a hard time growing large rooted plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

-I would/will be getting a 5g tank, I am having to start over because of a Mystery Snail that snuck some friends home from the LFS ...Ended up with HUNDREDS of snails.
-Larger Tank (long)
-Researched more into the difference between cold/warm water fish.
If you have a population explosion of snails it means you're overfeeding your tank.

I took the fish out for a while and didn't feed.. they still went nuts?
Define "a while" pest snails have incredible longevity. But unless they were limpets then they need a food source to be able to breed explosively. Its likely that your short stint followed a large period of breeding.

Define "a while" pest snails have incredible longevity. But unless they were limpets then they need a food source to be able to breed explosively. Its likely that your short stint followed a large period of breeding.

I took 6 babies, put them in a large vase with 2pcs of bamboo, fed one pea sized piece of algae pelle.. and about a month later, I had 52 snails in the vase.

I bought a quarter sized Blue Mystery Snail, it snuck 2 babies under its shell home. And instead of taking them out, I thought it would be cool. Yeah, it wasn't.

Geez, where do I start???

1. First and foremost I would have gotten a bigger tank.
2. As if that wasn't bad enough, I go a 20g high. Should have gotten a long!
3. Even worse, I got it as part of a starter kit... besides the tank (which I already said I don't like), hood/light and the heater, I have discarded everything else that came with the darned kit
4. Wish I had tried sand instead of gravel
5. More plants! For the longest time I only had anubias, which did really well. I just recently got my first java fern and ordered a bunch more. Considering some more species to add
6. Wish I got a canister filter from the get go

I've still had a lot of fun until now, but dang if hindsight isn't 20/20!!!!

I would have gotten a huge tank and spent more time aqua scraping to turn it into an amazon habitat.

I would have invested In a 90 gallon acrylic tank. I also would have started with fewer species of fish.

Back
Top Bottom