What would you do differently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Steve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This thread is meant for all aquarists-- from the newest newbie, to the oldest veteran.
Three months into my first aquarium, there is one thought that has crossed my mind more than any other: "next time I build a tank..."
This is your opportunity to share with others some of the lessons you've learned from the school of hard knocks. What is one thing you would do differently if you had to start all over again?

Go slower. Instead of rushing to get fish in, I'd like to take 3 months or so on getting the plants, driftwood, etc. right.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Seeing as how this is my thread, I thought I should be one of the first to reply. If I could do it all over again, I would stay as far away as I could from the "all-in-one" kits. I thought it would save me money. But like my dad used to say: "if something looks too good to be true, then it probably is." I've already replaced the filter and I can't wait to get a new hood and lights (because the ones it came with fall in the tank every time I try to do a water change!) And the "bonus food and dechlorinator" it came with--they're about as big as a trial size package of shampoo!

I would have tried to keep more plants or get better lighting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Go slower. Instead of rushing to get fish in, I'd like to take 3 months or so on getting the plants, driftwood, etc. right.

This and really pick a theme of fish

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would have never got clown loaches...can't catch them to return them to lfs...rowdy little boogers

I would have not taken over a tank from someone else without knowing what fish were in it.
I would not have bought fish on impulse.
I would stop taking in small tanks for free and feeling obligated to set them up :)

Everything...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good Thread! I'm pretty new at aquarium keeping. So far, so good.

What would I do differently?

1). Read more about what is required before starting. This forum is an excellent resource!

2). Set up a small (5 gallon) quarantine tank when your setting up your big aquarium. You'll save yourself a lot of worry and headaches about bringing in disease to your big tank.

3) Patience, patience, (and more patience) :) Don't rush things. Don't try to find quick fixes for things as cycling your tank and stocking your tank right away.

4). RESEARCH YOUR TANK MATES! Don't just throw whatever fish look pretty at the pet store into your tank without doing your homework.

I'm sure there are a lot of other things I will discover as I go along, but for now, this is what I have learned.

Dave

I would have spent a little more money on dimmavle led lighting rather than my t5ho for my planted tank.

I can honestly say I've never bought a fish on impulse and have always done thorough research. The one thing I wasn't doing and have changed now is putting fish in quarantine before going to the main tank.

One thing I would do differently is make sure I know about fish diseases and be stocked up on medications or ways to combat them before getting the fish. Especially since I am pretty much stuck with ordering fish online. And also as was said earlier, give it a little more time after completing cycling to scape it and let the plants have some time to grow out.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Not used anything I didn't understand well. Listened to that little nagging doubt that it would be all good.

A yet larger tank (this was after going one size larger anyways!).

Patience! I was in such a rush that I lost all my fish :( next tank (promised by oh that I can get my dream tank when we move house) I'm going to set it up with plants all landscaped properly then do a fishless cycle then add my fish/adf

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1. Start with Central American Cichlids right away. Smack myself for saying "but the african cichlids have such bright colors".

2. Don't cram every fish I can into a 75. Understocking is the way to go.

I would have bought a bigger tank, and had more patience in stocking. And would have certainly done more research instead of saying, "oh look at that pretty fish...bag 'em!"

-I would/will be getting a 5g tank, I am having to start over because of a Mystery Snail that snuck some friends home from the LFS ...Ended up with HUNDREDS of snails.
-Larger Tank (long)
-Researched more into the difference between cold/warm water fish.

Back
Top Bottom