Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a little research for my fish breeding operation-
How much would you pay for tankbred, healthy-

Half Black Guppies:
Single Male-
Single Female-
Pair-
Trio-
Reverse Trio-
Colony Starter(1 male, 4 females)-
Breeder Starter(2 males, 8 females, 10 unsexed 6 week old fry)-

Cories,Panda:
Single Cory-
Three Cories-
Six Cories-
Ten Cories-

Cories,Peppered-
Single Cory-
Three Cories-
Six Cories-
Ten Cories-
No need to do everything if you don't want to! I'm also considering apistos as part of it, but not sure
Thanks

Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

First off, are you selling locally or online? Online pricing has a much bigger market and competition so you are usually stuck having to ask for less than you would on a local level. Also who are you selling them to? If its a store then you are not going to get retail prices, if anything cut about 66% off of the retail price to get an idea of what a shop will pay.

For the guppies it depends a lot on what kind of lines you have. If they are designer lines then you can ask a bit more (check aquabid for some ideas on pricing) but if it's just random pet store guppies then $1-2 seems to be average in my area.

Peppered cories seem to be standard pet store material, and I often see them for $1-2 each at retail, not much of a demand, at least not in my area.

Pandas are less common, have only seen them in a few specialty shops, usually $5-7 each, and again your pricing just depends on if you are competing with local shops or online. You can look at how much they sell for at the big online sites or call around to local stores to get an idea of what you are up against.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
First off, are you selling locally or online? Online pricing has a much bigger market and competition so you are usually stuck having to ask for less than you would on a local level. Also who are you selling them to? If its a store then you are not going to get retail prices, if anything cut about 66% off of the retail price to get an idea of what a shop will pay.

For the guppies it depends a lot on what kind of lines you have. If they are designer lines then you can ask a bit more (check aquabid for some ideas on pricing) but if it's just random pet store guppies then $1-2 seems to be average in my area.

Peppered cories seem to be standard pet store material, and I often see them for $1-2 each at retail, not much of a demand, at least not in my area.

Pandas are less common, have only seen them in a few specialty shops, usually $5-7 each, and again your pricing just depends on if you are competing with local shops or online. You can look at how much they sell for at the big online sites or call around to local stores to get an idea of what you are up against.
Both. Will start by selling locally to stores such as HOT then move to a complete online site for individual consumers and stores farther away
The guppies will be show quality half black and maybe bluegrass or mosaics. I may be crossing the strains if I get two strains or more. The guppies will be purchased from IFGA breeders.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76
This is a little research for my fish breeding operation-
How much would you pay for tankbred, healthy-

Half Black Guppies:
Single Male-
Single Female-
Pair-
Trio-
Reverse Trio-
Colony Starter(1 male, 4 females)-
Breeder Starter(2 males, 8 females, 10 unsexed 6 week old fry)-

Cories,Panda:
Single Cory-
Three Cories-
Six Cories-
Ten Cories-

Cories,Peppered-
Single Cory-
Three Cories-
Six Cories-
Ten Cories-
No need to do everything if you don't want to! I'm also considering apistos as part of it, but not sure
Thanks
I would pay this, but it is in uk pounds.
Single male- £2.50
Single female- £1.75
Pair- £4
Trio- £5.75
Reverse trio- £6
Colony starter- £9
Breeder starter- £20-22

Corydoras panda
Single- £6
Three Cories- £16
Six Cories- £34
Ten Cories- £40

Peppered
Single- £3
Three- £10
Six- £24
Ten- £36
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter View Post
Peppered
Single- £3
Three- £10
Six- £24
Ten- £36
Why on earth would you pay more (each) for 3, 6, or 10 than you would for a single? You should pay less for multiples.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516

Why on earth would you pay more (each) for 3, 6, or 10 than you would for a single? You should pay less for multiples.
I don't know. But where I am they are always more expensive.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Check Aquabid for prices, as that will be your primary competition.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
come get me tang police!

If you are buying from IFGA line sellers then what you are paying should give you a ballpark of what you can sell them for as well.

Most mom and pops are not likely to give you much more than what they pay for random guppies because they may not be up on the value (or care) of the special strains.

Your best bet is to call around and tell them what you are doing and just ask, they should be able to tell you if they are interested and might even tell you what they'll pay.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
If you are buying from IFGA line sellers then what you are paying should give you a ballpark of what you can sell them for as well.

Most mom and pops are not likely to give you much more than what they pay for random guppies because they may not be up on the value (or care) of the special strains.

Your best bet is to call around and tell them what you are doing and just ask, they should be able to tell you if they are interested and might even tell you what they'll pay.
Yes, the guppies will be IFGA quality. I've decided on half black blues and bluegrass guppies instead of half blacks. From what I've seen the guppies I want will be anywhere from $45-$100
Also, I can probably make a deal with one of the LFSs around here, like I provide them with 100 guppies a month and they pay me a fixed rate
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
come get me tang police!

Keep in mind that show quality guppies are expensive,but not usually because they are a rare line but because they are also hand picked, so only a few, if any out of a batch can match that standard. That doesn't mean the rest are worthless, just don't expect to get top dollar for all but the best, and that assumes you find the right buyer.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com