Whats the best deal you have gotten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolene85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have you gotten a great deal on a great tank, fish or fish supply's? I wanna hear your story!! So I can be jealous.. :)

I bought a used 120 gallon Marineland lobster tank (that would cost around $12K new) for $325.00, although we did have to drive 20 hours round trip to pick it up. It was totally worth the drive though! :)

I got a practically brand new 55g for $40. It was a pain {mod edit}, the lady that had it had it sitting on a stand with no filter, no bubbler, nothing but gravel and a 6 inch goldfish. It was half full. I had to scoop out the water with a bucket, and pour it in her sink over and over again. Not to mention, I had to carry it WITH GRAVEL down a flight of narrow stairs. Also, the water was so dirty I couldn't see anything besides the bright orange goldfish. After I got it home I had to reseal it with silicone because there was a leak, and I had to do a lot of algae scrubbing. It was all worth it, it's in perfect condition now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a practically brand new 55g for $40. It was a pain {mod edit}, the lady that had it had it sitting on a stand with no filter, no bubbler, nothing but gravel and a 6 inch goldfish. It was half full. I had to scoop out the water with a bucket, and pour it in her sink over and over again. Not to mention, I had to carry it WITH GRAVEL down a flight of narrow stairs. Also, the water was so dirty I couldn't see anything besides the bright orange goldfish. After I got it home I had to reseal it with silicone because there was a leak, and I had to do a lot of algae scrubbing. It was all worth it, it's in perfect condition now. :)

What happened to the fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an acrylic 36g tank with the stand filter heater gravel and two fish for $40. It's a beautiful tank, thats my best deal so far

I bought a 3 gallon tall bow front, that came with a 5 gallon filter, 10 gallon air pump with 3 ft of tubing, a light changing airstone, a small castle decoration, medium size container of tropical fish flakes, small net, and 2 pounds of gravel.
All of it for $2!
Bought it from my neighbors garage sale.
I don't use the tank anymore but I'm thinking of doing a shrimp tank with it.

15 gal tank with filter, light that needs a new bulb. Unfortunately it leaked but all fixed now. And I paid a grand total of 0 for it

I had one good trip to a second hand store. I found 2x20g tanks for $5 each and a pair of 5g for another $5. I picked up a flourescant light for $20, so 50g worth of assorted tanks and a light for $30 some ornaments came with it too which might never make it into a tank of mine.

I also picked up a 40g tank with a broken end panel for $30. It's turning into a PITA to fix it. I had glass cut that will wind up short by a mm or two if i sand it back to remove a big chip at one end and a cut on a large angle on the bottom:facepalm:

I bought a panda garra loach for $3. And I had the chance to pick up a 6 gallon nano cube for free. But I was an hour late.

I found this on Craig's list. 200 gallon in wall aquarium, 60 gallon sump, Sequencer pump, 2 400 watt MH lights, 3 T12 lights, Turbo floater 5000 skimmer, 1/3 HP chiller, Octopus controller and plumbing. $300.00. I called because I wanted better lights for our 55 gallon reef. The seller said 400 watt MH way too much for a 55 gallon. Then he rambled on as I thought to myself I'll be polite and let him finish. When he did finish and he said all for $300. I said I'll be there ASAP. Didn't even check with the wife until I was on the way. We had just opened the closet under the stairs in the dinning room and moved our 180 gallon FW there. Out came the 180 for the 200.

Wow you guys really did get some great deals. A friend of mine gave me a 48 tall with a beautiful stand with a I think penguin filter. Don't remember the brand. Then he went and got me a heater because he wanted to help me set it up that day! Lol. It's a great tank just a little hard to clean Cus it's taller then I am. I have to get on a latter to clean the gravel. I'm only 5'2. I'm looking to get a bigger tank soon. I'm thinking Iike 90 or 100.

My neighbor gave me this 55g set up for free. Had a box of fish stuff for it too.

Attachments

• IMG95201312049516194895158.jpg
    IMG95201312049516194895158.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 103
Got a 46 gal bowfront from Lfs for freeeee! Just have to re-seal it, I'm a contractor so I got it covered:)

110 gallon tall with 300 watt LEDs in canopy 2 power heads 33gallon long sump with refugium built in and left all the stuff in it with sump pump reef octopus skimmer phosphate reactor 60-70 lbs of live rock for $350.

33gal long with stand Aquen HOB filter HOB protien skimmer live cured sand a couple lbs of live rock and a 48 inch 4 bulb t5 programable light set with moon lights and new bulbs. $100

124 watt reefbreeder FULL spectrum duel control adjustable LEDs $85

I got an 80g with stand, two boxes of stuff, a full CO2 kit (tank, regulator, tubing, other stuff) Coralife 4 bulb CFL light strip, fish, gravel and decor (gave to sister in law) and a brand new python for $225.00.

Got a 46 gal bowfront from Lfs for freeeee! Just have to re-seal it, I'm a contractor so I got it covered:)

Yeah I had to redo my 55. Not much to it really. Alto I paid 60 for it. I used the GE 100% silicone Cus the aquarium silicone was way to expensive and that stuff worked great for the plants I make and it's safe for fish.

Back
Top Bottom