whats your background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whats your background

• picture

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • colour (blue/black/other)

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • 3d background

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • live wall (moss wall/other)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • plain/nothing

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

keenfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
have you got a fancy picture(pics), a 3d one (pics?), a live one (ie moss wall), a coloured one (blue, black or other) or plain? and why?

At the minute I don't have one. I feel the pictures can look very tacky. 3D backgrounds look great however they are expensive and take up valuable space in the tank. I would like to get something at some point but undecided yet.

I have noticed my favorite tanks have a dark color background. My father-in-law's tank has a busy background, along with brightly colored decoration. With a black/blue background you're eyes go straight for the fish. Just my personal taste. To each their own. :) Mines dark blue.

Let's see:

40g: black painted

2x115g and 80g: used burlap material, velcroed to back of tanks. Gives nice a textured look

120g: we have a bamboo shade to put behind it, just haven't done it yet.

2x55g, 20long, 29g, 10g: generic background bought at petstore

36hex: no background, not needed.

I used to have the picture background but didn't like it. I now use black plastic. In any case, I don't like looking through the tank and seeing filters & wires.

I painted my 30 gal with a stonework effect and a Celtic knotwork tree of life design and some knotwork vines. Took a few weeks for all the layers for the stone effect.

keenfish said:
that is very cool

Thanks! I somehow pulled some artistic talent out of nowhere! Printed the images out, taped them to the inside and used that as a guide painting on the back. Fairly easy.

I have slate roof tiles brilliant because they can be cut to any shape

I have picture backgrounds right now but really want to make my own 3-d background. I am just nervous about doing it right. If it doesn't turn out I will go with gold or black backgrounds because I think the solid colors really enhance the fish!

daniel1987 said:
I have slate roof tiles brilliant because they can be cut to any shape

That's a good idea how did you fix in place?

Is it true that black/dark backgrounds enhance the fishes colour?

Wilkes said:
That's a good idea how did you fix in place?

Is it true that black/dark backgrounds enhance the fishes colour?

Just used aquarium safe adhesive and yes I find dark backgrounds help bring out the colour I was lucky enough to be on holiday and behind the cottage I was staying in was packs of large slate tiles so I thought I will have a few of them lol

daniel1987 said:
Just used aquarium safe adhesive and yes I find dark backgrounds help bring out the colour I was lucky enough to be on holiday and behind the cottage I was staying in was packs of large slate tiles so I thought I will have a few of them lol

I have been looking at the roofs of houses to see if any have fallen off haha. Do you have any pictures?

image-1175501396.jpg

image-37270327.jpg

I don't know how much you can see I have a wall of ocean rock in there

Back
Top Bottom