Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
What's your favorite Tropical fish?

So! What is your favorite fish? What makes your favorite fish your favorite?
__________________

__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
HAVAMAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: St Charles MO
Posts: 272
Black Ghost Knife a fish that has the unusual ability to regrow a severed spinal cord and nerve cells is being studied by researchers in an effort to find ways to improve treatment for humans who are paralyzed from spinal injuries or degenerative nerve diseases.
Marilyn Anderson, a professor of anatomy and neurobiology at Colorado State University, is growing nerve cells from the black ghost knife fish in tissue culture to find out what chemicals or hormones stimulate the cells of the fish to automatically regenerate.
''When the fish's spine is severed, it sets off a series of events like embryonic development,'' she said. ''We get differentiated nerve cells that form nerve fibers that connect with new muscle tissue. Within one year we have total regrowth and recovery and the new spinal cord is indistinguishable from a normal spinal cord.''
She said the lining membrane of the brain and central canal of the spinal cord can spawn new nerve cells in the fish. The layer, present in mammalian embryos, appears to be dormant in adult mammals.

Scientists hope advances in spinal regeneration can some day aid the more than 10,000 Americans who suffer spinal cord injuries each year. Another 250,000 people with multiple sclerosis have degenerating nervous systems, which can ultimately cause muscular weakness and paralysis.

South American natives believe that the ghosts of the departed take up residence in these fish, hence the name.
__________________

__________________
I DON'T KEEP FISH I KEEP WATER THE FISH TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES!
HAVAMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVAMAL View Post
Black Ghost Knife a fish that has the unusual ability to regrow a severed spinal cord and nerve cells is being studied by researchers in an effort to find ways to improve treatment for humans who are paralyzed from spinal injuries or degenerative nerve diseases.
Marilyn Anderson, a professor of anatomy and neurobiology at Colorado State University, is growing nerve cells from the black ghost knife fish in tissue culture to find out what chemicals or hormones stimulate the cells of the fish to automatically regenerate.
''When the fish's spine is severed, it sets off a series of events like embryonic development,'' she said. ''We get differentiated nerve cells that form nerve fibers that connect with new muscle tissue. Within one year we have total regrowth and recovery and the new spinal cord is indistinguishable from a normal spinal cord.''
She said the lining membrane of the brain and central canal of the spinal cord can spawn new nerve cells in the fish. The layer, present in mammalian embryos, appears to be dormant in adult mammals.

Scientists hope advances in spinal regeneration can some day aid the more than 10,000 Americans who suffer spinal cord injuries each year. Another 250,000 people with multiple sclerosis have degenerating nervous systems, which can ultimately cause muscular weakness and paralysis.

South American natives believe that the ghosts of the departed take up residence in these fish, hence the name.
WOW! That is incredible! The black ghost knife is my favorite bottom dwelling fish, now I am more thhan mesmorized! WOW! Thank you for sharing!!
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mounds View, MN
Posts: 921
I don't really have a favorite. I really like swordtails and cories. I also really like fry of any type they are my favorite! !!
__________________
rreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bettababe1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere in the Midwest
Posts: 5,447
Bettas! They're plain epic! Hence my username!
__________________
Fish are friends, not food!
-Dakota
Bettababe1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreekers View Post
I don't really have a favorite. I really like swordtails and cories. I also really like fry of any type they are my favorite! !!
Oh my gosh! That's just too cute! FRY! Love it! They are pretty adorable I must say
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettababe1011 View Post
Bettas! They're plain epic! Hence my username!
Bettas are very beautiful. I have 3! They are also very "people orientated" which is pretty cool!
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bettababe1011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere in the Midwest
Posts: 5,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish
Bettas are very beautiful. I have 3! They are also very "people orientated" which is pretty cool!
A betta I used to have would come up and rub against my finger, like he wanted to be petted.
__________________
Fish are friends, not food!
-Dakota
Bettababe1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mounds View, MN
Posts: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish
Bettas are very beautiful. I have 3! They are also very "people orientated" which is pretty cool!
they all have such unique personalities
__________________
rreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mounds View, MN
Posts: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish
Oh my gosh! That's just too cute! FRY! Love it! They are pretty adorable I must say
I have about 60 of them right now.. get a few more every week. I go to the lfs (petco) and ask for their fry.. I have gotten 8 in the last 9 days .. all for free
__________________

__________________
rreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freshwater fish, species, tropical, tropical fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
favorite fish for a 10g kathleen55 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 30 06-17-2012 02:58 AM
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
whats your favorite fish? allaboutfish Aquaria Off-Topic 58 01-03-2012 06:24 PM
What is your favorite freshwater fish you own and what is your favorite fish? mrhelton Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 18 10-09-2011 03:17 PM
favorite fish animalzrok2 Aquaria Off-Topic 19 09-27-2011 09:59 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.