What's Your Funniest Aquarium Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm starting this thread to get some conversation going about some funny things that have happened to you related to anything about your tank, fish, etc. I'll get us started. When I was 11, and got my first tank, my parents brought me to Petsmart (they have never had a tank) to get fish. We brought in a water sample, and they said I was ready to add fish and I could get them all today. So 11 year old me gave the Petsmart worker a 20 minute lecture on cycling the tank, and how you need to do a full cycle before any fish are added. The employee acted like he had never even heard of nitrifying bacteria! So tell everyone your story! Make us laugh! :D

That's great. I can just imagine the look on this guy's face as he was being lectured by a kid probably half his age...

The funniest one I can think of right now is actually how I got my first aquarium. I had had a betta fish that lived in a bowl on my dresser for about a year, and I loved him so much. He died while my aunt and uncle were in town visiting, and I was so upset that my aunt told me she was going to take me to get a new fish. My mom agreed, and we went off to the LFS. Once we got there my aunt revealed her plan - a bowl was no good so she was going to get me a 10 gallon setup! We got the tank, filter, heater, gravel, decorations, everything. Loaded it into the car and brought it home. Man, was my mom mad. But luckily for me, this was her favorite sister in law who pretty much helped raise her, and she just couldn't say no. The tank actually cracked when we were getting it home, and she let us go return it for a new one instead of having us return everything. We got it all set up and waited a few days before going to get some fish, since apparently none of us knew anything about cycling lol. Remember that this was a few years before Internet access was a common thing, and long before I had it. I was probably like 7 years old, and I've been keeping fish pretty much ever since, with only a break for about two years when I was living in a dorm and it wasn't allowed.

I'm starting this thread to get some conversation going about some funny things that have happened to you related to anything about your tank, fish, etc. I'll get us started. When I was 11, and got my first tank, my parents brought me to Petsmart (they have never had a tank) to get fish. We brought in a water sample, and they said I was ready to add fish and I could get them all today. So 11 year old me gave the Petsmart worker a 20 minute lecture on cycling the tank, and how you need to do a full cycle before any fish are added. The employee acted like he had never even heard of nitrifying bacteria! So tell everyone your story! Make us laugh! :D

Haha! That's awesome!

Well my childhood friend I decided to go to the same school and also live together. Both of us were into aquariums. I didn't bring mine but he brought his which didn't have fish but a little snapping turtle that we got from a lake a few years back when it was a baby and well it never really grew that big since he tank was only a 29g. He would normally get feeder fish for it. One night after getting those for him/her, we had just gone to bed and suddenly we heard this loud crash/crack. We kinda laid there and was like wtf was that. But didn't bother to get up and check it out. Well non the less we woke up to a floor soaked and we had to skip the first class or so to soak up all the water.

My mom said when I was about 4/5 years old we had a gold fish aquarium and I use to sit there for hours looking at them & always asking to hold one. Mom said she went to the kitchen and started making b-fast. Now, since I couldn't hold the goldfish I went to the kitchen and picked up the broom and she thought it was cute that I wanted to clean the house.

Well, I wasnt so cute after I busted the aquarium and got to hold the fish in my hand...:angel:

My mom said when I was about 4/5 years old we had a gold fish aquarium and I use to sit there for hours looking at them & always asking to hold one. Mom said she went to the kitchen and started making b-fast. Now, since I couldn't hold the goldfish I went to the kitchen and picked up the broom and she thought it was cute that I wanted to clean the house.

Well, I wasnt so cute after I busted the aquarium and got to hold the fish in my hand...:angel:

Haha! I'm guessing you had to clean SOMETHING after that. :D

More like a good old time b-whooping or what they call it today..... child abuse...lol

When I was 10 I had a 10 gallon tank at the end of the bunk beds in my room any time my brother had friends spend the night I got moved to his room and him and the friend got mine. One night his friend Kyle (who I always hated) was being a dick and jumped off the second step of the ladder and put his butt into the tank he had to be taken to the ER to have the glass taken out

I told this story many times but it is really funny. I had a female blue dwarf gourami in my aquarium with a few Kuhli loaches. Anyways, my mom was showing her an ice cream sandwich and the gourami freaked out. I moved her to my 55 where she never had to see ice cream ever again.

When I was 10 I had a 10 gallon tank at the end of the bunk beds in my room any time my brother had friends spend the night I got moved to his room and him and the friend got mine. One night his friend Kyle (who I always hated) was being a dick and jumped off the second step of the ladder and put his butt into the tank he had to be taken to the ER to have the glass taken out

LOL!!! Oh man that's awesome! I wish I had a funny story to do with fish... I just thought of one. Lol it's not all that funny, but it's something. :p

When I was about 8, my two sisters and I each had a goldfish. They all shared a tank that we kept on the kitchen counter. Well one day, when my youngest sister must have been about 3, my mom left a bottle of vinegar on the counter next to the fish tank. My 3 year old sister saw it and thought it was fish water. So you can guess what she did... She found my mom and said "I drank the fish water!" my mom thought she had drank the water out of the tank. Later, we saw bubbles all in the Tank and in the fish. We had no idea what it was until my dad figured out that my sister must have drank some of the vinegar, and then poured a good amount into the goldfish tank. But by then, we couldn't save the fish. I remember sitting in the living room and crying... I told my sister (now 10) this story just yesterday. She was like "what?! Oh no! Why would I DO that!?" :p so yeah kinda a bit funny, but more sad for me :p

I was at my cousins house and one of her kids just got a gold fish and was so exited about it and his little brother was so jealous about it and wanted one of his own so we went and got another one for him and it lasted about 30min because he thought it looked lonely so he gave it a hug and accidentally killed it sad for the fish but kinda funny now

we have a tilapia next to the dining room table. my oldest was on her laptop with her back to it. I was feeding it, dropped about 20 sticks in and went across the room to feed other fish, next thing i heard was my daughter yelling and swatting her head thinking there was a squashed bug in her hair. Turned out he somehow shot a bunch of sticks out of the tank right into her hair. Was funny to the 3 of us, not her. She wont sit in that seat anymore.

when i was at petco yesterday then had a new snowflake moray eel in the saltwater section and i was watching it and it just slithered into the next tank over and started eating a peppermint shrimp!!! i had to tell an employee. boy is it true that those guys are escape artists i honestly wonder how many die per year from climbing out lol

when i was at petco yesterday then had a new snowflake moray eel in the saltwater section and i was watching it and it just slithered into the next tank over and started eating a peppermint shrimp!!! i had to tell an employee. boy is it true that those guys are escape artists i honestly wonder how many die per year from climbing out lol

Your petco has saltwater ? The ones in my area half half dead ich infected goldfish and live bearers and a bunch of empty tanks with green water been that way for the 6 years I have lived in town

Here all the Petcos have saltwater fish and the Petsmarts only sell freshwater.

We had a goldfish tank in our old apartment, about 8yrs ago. One day I was explaining to my girlfriend that one of the fish looked sick and I better get something in the lfs to treat him. My daughter who was 4 at the time, unknown to us, she was listening to the conversation. At the time we were encouraging my daughter to drink pro-biotic yogurt drinks. We explained to her that they stop you getting sick and can help you get better if you are sick. I came home from work one day to discover a milky white fish tank and all my goldfish floating. I only discovered the truth a year ago. My girlfriend let it slip out, one night when she had a few drinks...haha. My daughter's 12 now and at the time told my girlfriend(her mom) that she just wanted the sick fish to get better!!!

Haha ^ she meant well.

Mine is more of a recurring story. Every time I have visitors the first thing they do is walk over to my tank. Of course, being the nice guy I am, I offer to let them feed my foot long Oscar. :)

They don't seem to appreciate it when he jumps out the tank and grabs their fingers XD

Haha ^ she meant well.

Mine is more of a recurring story. Every time I have visitors the first thing they do is walk over to my tank. Of course, being the nice guy I am, I offer to let them feed my foot long Oscar. :)

They don't seem to appreciate it when he jumps out the tank and grabs their fingers XD

Lol! Gotta do that once mine gets bigger! :D

Back
Top Bottom