Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm starting this thread to get some conversation going about some funny things that have happened to you related to anything about your tank, fish, etc. I'll get us started. When I was 11, and got my first tank, my parents brought me to Petsmart (they have never had a tank) to get fish. We brought in a water sample, and they said I was ready to add fish and I could get them all today. So 11 year old me gave the Petsmart worker a 20 minute lecture on cycling the tank, and how you need to do a full cycle before any fish are added. The employee acted like he had never even heard of nitrifying bacteria! So tell everyone your story! Make us laugh!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
That's great. I can just imagine the look on this guy's face as he was being lectured by a kid probably half his age...

The funniest one I can think of right now is actually how I got my first aquarium. I had had a betta fish that lived in a bowl on my dresser for about a year, and I loved him so much. He died while my aunt and uncle were in town visiting, and I was so upset that my aunt told me she was going to take me to get a new fish. My mom agreed, and we went off to the LFS. Once we got there my aunt revealed her plan - a bowl was no good so she was going to get me a 10 gallon setup! We got the tank, filter, heater, gravel, decorations, everything. Loaded it into the car and brought it home. Man, was my mom mad. But luckily for me, this was her favorite sister in law who pretty much helped raise her, and she just couldn't say no. The tank actually cracked when we were getting it home, and she let us go return it for a new one instead of having us return everything. We got it all set up and waited a few days before going to get some fish, since apparently none of us knew anything about cycling lol. Remember that this was a few years before Internet access was a common thing, and long before I had it. I was probably like 7 years old, and I've been keeping fish pretty much ever since, with only a break for about two years when I was living in a dorm and it wasn't allowed.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 View Post
I'm starting this thread to get some conversation going about some funny things that have happened to you related to anything about your tank, fish, etc. I'll get us started. When I was 11, and got my first tank, my parents brought me to Petsmart (they have never had a tank) to get fish. We brought in a water sample, and they said I was ready to add fish and I could get them all today. So 11 year old me gave the Petsmart worker a 20 minute lecture on cycling the tank, and how you need to do a full cycle before any fish are added. The employee acted like he had never even heard of nitrifying bacteria! So tell everyone your story! Make us laugh!
Haha! That's awesome!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well my childhood friend I decided to go to the same school and also live together. Both of us were into aquariums. I didn't bring mine but he brought his which didn't have fish but a little snapping turtle that we got from a lake a few years back when it was a baby and well it never really grew that big since he tank was only a 29g. He would normally get feeder fish for it. One night after getting those for him/her, we had just gone to bed and suddenly we heard this loud crash/crack. We kinda laid there and was like wtf was that. But didn't bother to get up and check it out. Well non the less we woke up to a floor soaked and we had to skip the first class or so to soak up all the water.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My mom said when I was about 4/5 years old we had a gold fish aquarium and I use to sit there for hours looking at them & always asking to hold one. Mom said she went to the kitchen and started making b-fast. Now, since I couldn't hold the goldfish I went to the kitchen and picked up the broom and she thought it was cute that I wanted to clean the house.

Well, I wasnt so cute after I busted the aquarium and got to hold the fish in my hand...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
My mom said when I was about 4/5 years old we had a gold fish aquarium and I use to sit there for hours looking at them & always asking to hold one. Mom said she went to the kitchen and started making b-fast. Now, since I couldn't hold the goldfish I went to the kitchen and picked up the broom and she thought it was cute that I wanted to clean the house.

Well, I wasnt so cute after I busted the aquarium and got to hold the fish in my hand...
Haha! I'm guessing you had to clean SOMETHING after that.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

More like a good old time b-whooping or what they call it today..... child abuse...lol
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
More like a good old time b-whooping or what they call it today..... child abuse...lol
Yeah, time outs really work most of us received an ol' fashioned butt whopping and we turned out ok.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I was 10 I had a 10 gallon tank at the end of the bunk beds in my room any time my brother had friends spend the night I got moved to his room and him and the friend got mine. One night his friend Kyle (who I always hated) was being a dick and jumped off the second step of the ladder and put his butt into the tank he had to be taken to the ER to have the glass taken out
Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I told this story many times but it is really funny. I had a female blue dwarf gourami in my aquarium with a few Kuhli loaches. Anyways, my mom was showing her an ice cream sandwich and the gourami freaked out. I moved her to my 55 where she never had to see ice cream ever again.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com