What's your take

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
To earn my degree in the field I am studying my academic advisor recommended I take Outdoor Leadership. I enrolled in the class but since my advisor was out of town when I wanted to enroll I ended up missing 1 class due to late enrollement. During the course of the semester I missed 3 classes 1 where a test was given and according the syllabus you were allowed 3 unexcused absances and needed to give 24 hrs notice after an abscence to make-up a test. I contacted the instructor by email but never got any email back. The next class she said she wanted to talk to me about making up the test. She was talking to a bunch of other people after the class so I waited for a while then left but again emailed her. No reply.

Then she finally called me and said that I had no chance of passing the class and it was past the drop/add period but she would support a "late withdraw" if I would write a letter to the academic dean and request one. I did and but they denied my request. Also on this instructors syllabus it says attendance is worth 50 out of 600 possible points. So even if I get 0/50 points attendance I should still be able to pass the class with a high B or better. Although this instructor flat out said "I am not going to pass you."

I have written the dean, asked to make up the test I emailed about, asked why it is ok for this instructor to not follow her own syllabus and again nothing...

what is your guy's take

If you have a copy of the e-mails that you sent to the professor, take them to the Dean and show him/her that you have attempted to contact the professor numerous times without a responce. But that may not be enough since that is the reason that they have office hours. Most syllabus' state that the professor has the right to alter the syllabus at any time. Look in your student handbook for the procedures that should be taken to dispute a grade.

I think its the deans choice but it sounds to me like you have a solid case for good faith effort. If the dean isn't biased to the teachers side then I think he will rule on your side.

I sent copies of all the emails to the dean as well as a letter detailing the times I called this professor's office and so on. She is a "kayaking" instrctor so she is never in her office supposodly but we will have to wait and see what happens, with this college its hard to say what will happen.

I'm sorry you had to go through this situation. I would make an appointment to see the dean in person or the president of the college. Bring a copy of the letter, with the original date, and also a copy of the syllabus. Does your college have only one dean? Mine has a dean of students and a dean of academic affairs. I'd talk to both and also to the student life director.

I would talk to your professor first- make an appointment, no emails.
Bring printed out copies of your emails just in case

Tell her what doesn't make sense is when following the syllabus you should be making whatever grade, and have her explain how you are going to fail
That will clear up things for both her and you.

If she is stubborn THATS when you take it to the dean. They would rather you try everything with the professor first.

Seems to me if you really wanted to make up that test you would have waited no matter how long you had to wait. Not sure a email is the proper form of communication in this case. JMO.

Never rely on email for mission critical communication. At the very least you should have called her, and left a voicemail if she was out. If she's the outdoorsy type, she's probably not big on email.

And I have to agree with seaham, that if it was really important, you would have stayed as long as necessary to speak to her about the make up exam.

As for the absences...well losing all 50 points puts you at a B+ to begin with. Then you got 0pts for that exam. Not sure how you did on all your other assignments/exams, but I'm guessing she's not cutting you any slack because she probably thinks you don't really care about the class (due to your absences and not making up the exam...I'm not saying she's correct in this assessment...just that she thinks she's giviing you waht you 'deserve').

Good luck with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the dean doesn't see things your way. 1 upset student vs. 49 who were happy with the instructor...that's how they're gonna see it.

well actually there are a bunch of other students having some issues with this instructor too. 9 total that I know of with this course alone. I talked to her first about it and when I contacted her about the exam I left 2 voice mails and 1 email. On the syllabus it says email is the best way to get in touch with her. When I talked to her she said "your a smart kid who doesnt care about his education." Odd, ive carried a 3.5-4.0 all the way through college and have never before now not gotten along with a professor.

I have sent copies of the emails to the dean but of course the voice mails I dont have copies of. I do agree though Malkore - I dont think this school is going to be of much help since Ive heard of people having similar issues in the past with other instructors. As for the school we have a president, dean of academic affairs and dean of admissions. Its the dean of academic affairs im starting with.

Honestly I think she is making terms so that the greater majority of the class pass. When I talked to her she told me all that was needed to pass the class was to show up for every course and tests and quizzes and projects really "didnt matter." I told her I wish the syllabus reflected that and I was told that before 8 classes till the semester ended - she then said "Dont worry about it there is no way Im going to give you anything but an F." Oddly enough the majority of the 20 person class has failed every exam and they arent turning in projects either. Most of the people taking have "kayaking" or "rock climbing" as thier major and dont seem to much care about this course or any other.

I think this instructor is looking for a way to pass these students so the better majroity of her group does not fail thus making her look bad.

Well, with 9 other people having problems, you at least have some hope. Of course, be sure to mention that you did leave some voicemails in addition to the emails (thus two methods of contact), and when mentioning the day she wanted to speak to you after class, then wouldn't...be a little underhanded.
"She basically ignored me, and unless I wanted to be late for the quiz at the start of my next class, I had to leave before she chose to 'make time' for me, even though she requested the meeting in the first place."

Good luck!

once this is all cleared up and if there is no misunderstanding in how she is behaving (as someone said, she could be giving you the grade she thinks you deserve and in the end she may change her mind) then I would go and rate her on ratemyprofessor.com so other students can be warned.

thanks guys. I will be making a trip over to ratemyprofessor.com - that is a great website!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom