Whats your witness story?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoebekatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
We've all been into our LFS and witnessed something truly horrific. The best one I have seen is a little boy walk in with his father. Here is how it went:
Dad: please can I buy a nemo fish for my son?
Clerk: what are your parameters? Is it cycled?
Dad: is it what?!
Clerk: well.. What size is your tank?
Dad: it's just a bowl, but it's ok, we won't add any plants so he can have more room, I insist!

I almost died.

What is your LFS story?

phoebekatee said:
We've all been into our LFS and witnessed something truly horrific. The best one I have seen is a little boy walk in with his father. Here is how it went:
Dad: please can I buy a nemo fish for my son?
Clerk: what are your parameters? Is it cycled?
Dad: is it what?!
Clerk: well.. What size is your tank?
Dad: it's just a bowl, but it's ok, we won't add any plants so he can have more room, I insist!

I almost died.

What is your LFS story?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!

I was in a local chain store the other day and this girl and her boyfriend where in the fish section. She turns around and says, 'I want a fish!!'.
Boyfriend says, 'Well if you want one, get one that will live in a bowl like a goldfish'.
She then says, 'no I want that one', and points at a small flowerhorn!
I didn't hang around for the rest of the conversation but they left without a fish so that's a plus.

I don't have too many good ones but I have a typical one. My favorite LFS has an oscar, a BIG (14") oscar. He lives by himself in a 75g. He is their pet, not for sale. There was a young child (6-7), not tapping, but SLAPPING the glass. He was clearly stressing out the fish. I told him to stop, and he told me "I'm playing with him, he's having fun!". His parents actually told me to "mind my own business." I left.

I've got another one :) I was at my favorite LFS (for healthy fish, not advice) and heard a couple asking what cichlids they could put in with their gold fish. Then the girl started recommending different ones she thought would look nice!

That moment, when the Petco lady is telling people to take their water so their tank is cycled, and then tells you that she is keeping two gold algae eaters in her ten gallon and that they are doing fine and will stop growing because the tank is small...

Or that other moment, when that English couple buy the little palm-sized glass bowl and the blue betta and the lady at the LFS does not care, simply says, "Sure he'll look amazing and be healthy!"

I was at at a large chain store that is better known for its food and clothing than it is for its fish... I was just passing by the fish section and -gasp- someone was actually there. I was asked if I needed help and I said no... But then asked if she knew that all the fish had ich.

Her response? "Whats ich?"

The other one... In the same store, a group of teenagers came and wanted to buy a green spotted pufferfish. The woman helping them got the fish for them and told them it was okay to keep it in a 2 gallon tank. With no heater. And no filter.

"So, I have a 55g with four oscars. They keep eating each other, so if I get this big one (He points at the over foot long oscar in the tank), then they will leave each other alone. Right?"

I just walked away. There was no saving that one. He also was going on about how "bad" they are and how he only feeds them live and in front of friends.

Back
Top Bottom