Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

When a book is supposed to be great and it stinks!!!

I just read The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. It's supposed to be one of the best ghost stories ever told but I thought it really stank! It wasn't just the tedious run on sentences and 3 page long paragraphs either. It wasn't even the dreadful snotty language. The book plain old stunk every which way you considered it. Why it's such a well known "classic" I'll never be able to guess. As far as it being the "best ghost story ever written"....please! The first chapter is spent building you up for the greatest fireside ghost story ever and then the book just turns to crap. Especially the ending.....crap.

What's the scariest book you ever read????

And no votes for Henry James or my head will explode.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
I know what you mean... I got a VERY recommended book a while back and I couldn't even read the first page without dosing off....

I like anything scary or make believe or whatever... most of the not well known authors have the best books. SOme of the greater ones just do it for money after a while and there writing abilites kind of dry up.

I personally like goosebumps books lol. Short and swwet and gets right to the piont but also gives you a great sense of suspense and all that.

I think the other author was john paul or something...I really liked his shadows book.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Flutterby21782 Send a message via Yahoo to Flutterby21782
I know what you mean, one of Stephen King's best suppossedly is Misery. I got 1/3 through the book before I just gave, hopin' it would get better, it just didn't. I believe teh scariest book I've read is Stephen Kings IT I love it I read it once every two years or so.
A guenia pig that has yet to be named.
3 Bettas in thier own gallon in a half brandysnifter.
I have fire belly newts too.

~War doesn't show who's right, it's shows who's left.~
Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Ive always heard Stephen King's IT is a VERY scary book to read... granted Ive never read it myself.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Never been able to make through a Stephen King book.... I really dislike his style but the stories make great screen plays.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't really read horror/scary books but this was definatly an interesting read. By far the scariest thing I've ever read. It's not fully complete because the link on the last page is broken but IMO its very good and it is supposedly true. Its a journal about a guy and his buddy who go into a cave and find... Well I won't ruin it for you but IMO its a good read. Here's the link.

http://www.holyshiite.com/caver/page1.html
I work at an LFS..
Old 12-22-2005, 12:57 AM   #7
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
[quote="Flutterby21782"]I know what you mean, one of Stephen King's best suppossedly is Misery.[/quite]

It is up there...because it is so believable...his best stuff he wrote as "Bachmann".

Quote:
I believe teh scariest book I've read is Stephen Kings IT I love it I read it once every two years or so.
IT started well, but completely went to ruin about 2/3 through.

I like James' "Turn of the Screw", but it is deep and psychological.

My faves include HP Lovecraft, Clive Barker, etc.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 12-22-2005, 03:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

H.P. Lovecraft, Dunwich Horror. John Belairs was great when I was younger, the books are still good just not quite so scary to me now.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Flutterby21782 Send a message via Yahoo to Flutterby21782
JG,
With the exception of a few movies, most of Stephen King's books to movies are horrible. It (if you have read the book keep in mind it was a made for TV movie), The Stand, The Shining (TV movie from 1997ish), Pet Semetery, The Green Mile, The Langoliers, Chattery Teeth (from Quicksilver Highway), The Shawshenk Redemption, and Stand By Me (based on the novella The Body); are among the best book to movie adaptions. I have heard Misery is a good adaption, I have not read all of the book, never bothered to watch the movie.
The Running Man being the absolute worst adaption. Dreamcatcher I find is another horrible adaption.
I have read most of Stephen King's work, have watched many of the movies too. This is based on my personal opinion. To me all the other movies fall into varying degrees of mediocrity.

LiquidPhyre, to this day I still can not read IT alone at night, same is true with Pet Semetery.
A guenia pig that has yet to be named.
3 Bettas in thier own gallon in a half brandysnifter.
I have fire belly newts too.

~War doesn't show who's right, it's shows who's left.~
Old 12-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis

I like James' "Turn of the Screw"
HEY! What did I say!

Talloulou's gone.....her head exploded

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com