Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

When looking at other people's tanks...

I love to look at other people's fish tanks. The great majority of them are awesome and so much better than mine, but once in a while, I see stuff that make me go, "Why??". Nothing big, just little pet peeves like:

1. A low water level for no reason, like 2 to 5 inches below the edge of the tank. I'm all like, "Why you no fill tank up all the way to the top???"

2. No background. My brain be like, "Why you no put background?! Why you like looking at filter and cords and ugly wall behind tank??"

3. One tetra. "Why you no give him buddies??"

Lol

What are your pet peeves about other people's tanks (or your own)?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

One personal pet peeve about my own tank (and I guess that this can apply to others) is that no matter how much I vacuum my tanks the sand is never clean. Some people's tanks look spotless, I mean close ups on the grains of sand and not a single bit of poo! How does that even happen? Sorry, went off on a little tangent But still...

Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I enjoy going to the Waikiki aquarium to get aquascaping ideas. There is a beautiful planted discus tank.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Crooked heaters!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing that really bothers me is if I see fish from different locations mixed together or if I see too many man made fish.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Something that really irks me is little docorations like spongebob, nemo, those little 'no fishing' signs...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
The only thing that really bothers me is if I see fish from different locations mixed together or if I see too many man made fish.
I know! For some reason that really ticks me off too! That's why I only do Biotope tanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tank breaks most of the pet peeves listed here
Old 01-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiddlemuffin View Post
Something that really irks me is little docorations like spongebob, nemo, those little 'no fishing' signs...
Agreed. I much prefer any tank that has a natural looking scape. If you have kids then i see how a moving treasure chest or sunken ship might be appealing. But for me a clean looking planted tank with a natural look is brilliant.

Things i hate about other peoples tanks.
- Plant envy. I need to upgrade my lights to get better plants and my foreground to fill in.
- Size envy. I like fish a lot but making my tanks look like beautiful nature scenes is exciting for me too. It's where i have ownership of the tank as opposed to being a feeding machine for fish. I would love to have a 4 foot by 2 foot tank (biggest i can fit in my living room) so i could transition from foreground, midground and background better. I will find one at the right price eventually. No good deals have popped up when i have the money for them.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Crooked heaters!

I totally agree. I can spend a lot of time trying to make sure my own heater is sitting straight.

My biggest pet peeve is when coldwater fish are mixed with tropical fish. It bugs me when any two fish that require quite different temps are in the same tank, but it's harder to recognize that because I don't know the temp requirements of that many fish. But coldwater fish and tropcical fish obviously require different temperatures.
I don't really care how other people set their tanks up as far as decorations go, because they are ultimately the ones that has to see it every day. For my own, I like more natural settings. Although, I have played with the idea of doing a themed tank using sterilized Jagermeister bottles..

Tags
tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com