When looking at other people's tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salukie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I love to look at other people's fish tanks. The great majority of them are awesome and so much better than mine, but once in a while, I see stuff that make me go, "Why??". Nothing big, just little pet peeves like:

1. A low water level for no reason, like 2 to 5 inches below the edge of the tank. I'm all like, "Why you no fill tank up all the way to the top???"

2. No background. My brain be like, "Why you no put background?! Why you like looking at filter and cords and ugly wall behind tank??"

3. One tetra. "Why you no give him buddies??"

Lol

What are your pet peeves about other people's tanks (or your own)?

One personal pet peeve about my own tank (and I guess that this can apply to others) is that no matter how much I vacuum my tanks the sand is never clean. Some people's tanks look spotless, I mean close ups on the grains of sand and not a single bit of poo! How does that even happen? Sorry, went off on a little tangent:) But still...

I enjoy going to the Waikiki aquarium to get aquascaping ideas. There is a beautiful planted discus tank.

The only thing that really bothers me is if I see fish from different locations mixed together or if I see too many man made fish.

Something that really irks me is little docorations like spongebob, nemo, those little 'no fishing' signs...

Something that really irks me is little docorations like spongebob, nemo, those little 'no fishing' signs...

Agreed. I much prefer any tank that has a natural looking scape. If you have kids then i see how a moving treasure chest or sunken ship might be appealing. But for me a clean looking planted tank with a natural look is brilliant.

Things i hate about other peoples tanks.
- Plant envy. I need to upgrade my lights to get better plants and my foreground to fill in.
- Size envy. I like fish a lot but making my tanks look like beautiful nature scenes is exciting for me too. It's where i have ownership of the tank as opposed to being a feeding machine for fish. I would love to have a 4 foot by 2 foot tank (biggest i can fit in my living room) so i could transition from foreground, midground and background better. I will find one at the right price eventually. No good deals have popped up when i have the money for them.

Crooked heaters!

I totally agree. I can spend a lot of time trying to make sure my own heater is sitting straight. :lol:

My biggest pet peeve is when coldwater fish are mixed with tropical fish. It bugs me when any two fish that require quite different temps are in the same tank, but it's harder to recognize that because I don't know the temp requirements of that many fish. But coldwater fish and tropcical fish obviously require different temperatures. :facepalm:
I don't really care how other people set their tanks up as far as decorations go, because they are ultimately the ones that has to see it every day. For my own, I like more natural settings. Although, I have played with the idea of doing a themed tank using sterilized Jagermeister bottles..:angel:

I hate seeing schooling/shoaling fish not with others of their kind, or seeing cold water and tropical fish mixed. I hate seeing huge fish in small tanks, like 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I also don't like decorations. I like to see planted tanks using rock or driftwood as "decoration".

I don't have a background.... don't make me track you down and rip off yours lol.
From building PC's, I'm a cable/cord neat freak and have everything very well hidden with all my tanks/stands :p-

I don't have a background.... don't make me track you down and rip off yours lol. :p-

Bwahahahahaha!!
Actually, mine is just a piece of black bristle board. But it hides all the wires and stuff. It works.

I also don't like those really busy fake backgrounds either.

1. Tank low on water
2. Dirty tank, colored water (how do you even enjoy that?)
3. Big fish in small tank
4. Decorations with no theme, no layout, brightly colored (I'm ok with brightly colored as long as it's done well), and no place for the fish to hide (you know -5 gallon tank with a skull, no fishing sign, and no plants. That kind of thing). Kids tank exempt. :)
5.No filter (my recent betta came from someone who was told by lfs that bettas did not like filration or bubblers)
6.Schooling fish by themselves

Really though, I feel bad because I think most people really love their fish, but are just ignorant of a lot of things. And to each his own on the decor ;)

Back
Top Bottom