When people ask you what you do for fun…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you like to read books, you “read”
If you fish, you “fish” or a “fisherman”

But about us aquarists? Do you respond with:
“I like to take care of fish”
“I have fish”
“I’m an aquarist” (does anyone except us know what that is?)
“I spend time upkeeping my tanks”

So, what do you say?

I generally respond with “I have fish!”, which always sounds so…awkward and incomplete

I've found talking about my tanks with people who don't have tanks is more aggravating than anything else.. One guy I work with used to have one so he's ok to chat with but other than that I actually void talking fish with people.. I come on here or go bug my Lfs guys;)

I use "I'm into aquariums"

And people assume I just mean I like going to public aquariums and pointing at all the fish while snot nosed kids wipe their boogers on the glass and run around screaming

I tend not to talk fish with people all that much. When i do i usually start by saying i keep some planted aquariums. I usually finish with ok, i'll stop talking about them if it's really that annoying.

Living here in Florida it kind of seems the norm to have an aquarium. There is a area about 10min drive on bird road that has about 5 to 6 LFS & that's not counting big store. Growing up just about all the guys had an aquarium. I like to fish & seems that like everyone has one or had aquariums at one time....Even if they use the aquariums to keep their bait fish........

Figures the guy I work with/talk fish had an aquarium when he lived in fla..

I usually say 'I keep fish' and have learnt that it may be annoying for strangers when you dig out the iPhone to show pics straight away.... you should let them get settled with a coffee first... :)

I just tell them I'm the crazy aquarium lady who's house is called the Longmont Aquarium. They'll ask what I mean by that, I tell them I have 17 aquariums, their eyes get huge, then they want details and to see pictures.

Back
Top Bottom