When was the last time you overfilled your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFeKt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm such a tool, just overflowed my tank for the 2nd time ever..

What about you guys?
Come on, i know we've all done it..

Glad my place is all tiles :)

I've never done it (thankfully) but my husband has. After watching him overflow the 29 gal tank, I keep a very close eye on them during refill. A few months ago he filled the 150 REALLY full. :)

When I had my Mbuna tank setup, I overfilled that a couple times.......and have overfilled my planted 55 once. Its been atleast a few months since I've done it though. :D I guess with the larger tanks I tend to get bored while waiting for it to fill and find other things to occupy myself with.....then I forget that I was filling the tank until I've watered the carpet with a gallon or so of water. I am afraid to see what the carpet under the stand looks like..........

I have come really close a few times but I have caught it at the last second. One time it was within a couple millimeters of the edge. I ended up having to drain some water out. I could see how overfilling a tank could easily be done.

I have however spilled about 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket of dirty tank water on the carpet. Yuck. Thankfully I was able to shampoo and dry the carpet and keep it from smelling.

I've never done it either, but I did have a kitten chew on my filter's intake tube and lost about 30 gallons onto my floor....

Never overfilled, But I had an overflow I had my Maxi-Jet pointed straight up at the surface and the lid was open. I came home from work and half my tank was on the floor ruined my wood laminate kitchen it bowed and now really needs replaced(I was going to replace it anyway) Still not sure of how it exactly happened?

I haven't over filled my tank but I have had a power outage cause a mess. The back siphon from my returns overflowed my return tank and I ended up with water all over the place. The only thing I have over filled is my RO/DI container. I forget that it is on and end up with water on the floor. Solved that problem after Christmas I got an auto-shut-off for my RO/DI!! No more overfilling for me!

I've never done it either, but I did have a kitten chew on my filter's intake tube and lost about 30 gallons onto my floor....
:lol:is that kinda like blaming the smelly fart on the dog ?And not owning up to the oops :biglol:

LOL! The sad thing is it happened twice before I wrapped foam around the tubes....

I'll admit that I once overfilled my 29 gal. I got distracted scraping spot algae off the nearby 58 gal. Fortunately, only a few cups of water got on the carpet.

A worse accident happened when I was refilling a 10 gal in my bathroom. I accidently knocked over some rockwork with the python, and I tossed the still-running python into the tub behind me - or so I thought. Suddenly, my socks were soaked, and I looked down to see the python at my feet soaking the carpet. The bathroom carpet is jigsaw-style tiles, so I only had to pull up the soaked tiles and hang them up to dry overnight.

Done it a couple of times and my husband did it once too....our poor carpet...we actually had to pull it up and put a fan under it to dry it....big mess.
We have a water line to the tank but it is only 1/4 inch so it fills VERY slowly! I get phone calls from customers (or other people and forget it)

TIP....set your kitchen timer (or some other timer) so it beeps at you after 5 minutes (assuming it takes longer than that to fill up) that has helped me....I also have made it a point to wit in front of the tank and watch it, turn off the TV etc.

Multi tasking is a MYTH I tell ya! lol

Back
Top Bottom