where did everyone go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
This form use to be great for advise but no there seems to be no one around

Most of us are us based and at 8am - 5am in the us its a bit early.

I think he means in general not just right now. I too have noticed it is harder to get people involved in conversation lately.

I find that the forum is bustling with activity most of the time and my hours are different to most of the people on here as its a US forum. I love it and cant praise it enough. My knowledge is a testiment to the site and has taught me countless amounts of information that used to be unaccessable. The only thing is i wish there were more UK members so i could then use the classifields. I tell people about Aa all the time and im confident that in the future there will be large groups from all countries worldwide. It's a second refuge, a home and a comfort for most members, Aint that right guys!

Last edited:
I think he means in general not just right now. I too have noticed it is harder to get people involved in conversation lately.

It is the normal slow season for aquarists right now so that might be part of it.

I've learned more in the year I've been a member of AA than in 40 years of previous fishkeeping. So many good ideas, tips and knowledge! Also I've met SO MANY nice people. Some have become really close friends that I enjoy sharing life with as well as fishkeeping. To the OP's question, time of day and day of week activity is definitely cyclical in here. My favorite time in here is Saturday evenings. (USA time). Thanks to AA and a great friend I've made, I'm looking at a wonderful trip to Ireland in my future. I've never been outside of the USA so I'm super excited. OS.

This form use to be great for advise but no there seems to be no one around
I have noticed this too. I still think it's great for advice though and for making friends. Always new people finding this forum daily. I have one great buddy in particular who I chat to by email more than through AA. I have a few others who I would happily call friends. I have got priceless advice off great people here and have always found most people easy to deal with. Never in a million years would you get to talk to the so many people from different parts of the world, who are experts in different areas of fishkeeping. If I need to know about lights, I know who to contact. Plants, I contact 'The Queen'. General stuff and a good old chit chat, hey Brueen. I too found a great friend and thanks to him I will be heading to the good auld US and A soon. Go raibh mile maith agat, mo cara......Yee Ha!!!!

People on forums come and go, unfortunately that's just how it is. Many of the members that were very active a couple years ago have moved on and over the past months I've seen an influx of newer members. All forums have their ups and downs, busy and slow times.

Everyone needs to realize a few things
First : everyone is on different time zones
Second : the holidays are upon us so everyone's out shopping getting ready for Xmas
Third : some work long hours during holiday season
Things will come around once the holidays settle down
things slow down here during the holidays but give it time it will be back to normal
have a great Xmas everyone

I think a lot just depends on where you are at in the hobby with regards to what you consider activity (relevant posts to your skill set). I always recommend the site for people new to aquariums or getting back in after many years. Plenty of knowledgeable people on various topics on subject matter but it isn't the site I recommend if someone has a more in-depth interest in reef tanks, planted aquariums, LED builds, etc...

I find the site to be active with regards to numbers participating but much of the activity is always more social related in my opinion and not really in-depth aquarium related. How you like my new light? What did you do in the tank today? Look at my new fish? Many topics are geared more towards social activity and don't often lead to "meaty" discussions on topics one will learn something from.

I don't see drops with holidays, time zones, etc.. much in my opinion. Smart phones, tablets, etc..are so common place any more most have instant access to sites and drop in multiple times a day. I do think because of that fewer post because they take in so many sites and topics, it becomes more about just keeping updated/following along sort of thing.

Even topics that are fish related won't pull in numbers. Let me put up a tank picture with clown puke gravel, sponge bob ornaments, and a few live plants stuffed into the gravel and title it My Planted tank and you have eliminated many that are into planted tanks that would love to discuss dosing, lighting, plant selection, etc.. They may comment nice looking tank, off to a good start, etc.. to be cordial but they aren't going to really get involved in the thread to make it one of save to favorites tabs. We all have them those links to huge threads chopped full of information, ideas, etc..

I also see a very large/diverse group of people on the site. This brings a lot of different takes on matters but also stymies some discussions. It is interesting to follow discussions between a middle school/high school individual, one in college, older individuals, etc... They often are directed very much on where one is at in life with regards to what one wants in a tank. Some are very much into the biological and chemical processes others just want cool fish it often doesn't lend itself to active threads.

The best cure is just to post and create topics to keep you interested and draw people in. Also can just contact individuals about topics and get side discussion through email, chat, etc.. going also.

I am just saying seemed like in the summer people were always hitting up new threads now i see a lot of threads sitting empty (no responses) i re installed this app via Google play and the comments on this app were bad people leaving and what not.

I love this forum every one here is friendly and knowledgeable

It is the normal slow season for aquarists right now so that might be part of it.
True I didnt think about that.
I am just saying seemed like in the summer people were always hitting up new threads now i see a lot of threads sitting empty (no responses) i re installed this app via Google play and the comments on this app were bad people leaving and what not.

I love this forum every one here is friendly and knowledgeable

I agree most people are friendly and helpful. However we do loose some new members because there are a few people who (intentionally or not) are rude or condescending to people who make mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom