Where has my fish gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickiMaree

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there i was just wanting to know if it is possible for a fish to vanish?
I have to gold fish a small white one an a big gold fish . I feed them before i left Saturday morning and there were 2 in the tank. I got home that night and the gold one had gone. The lid was on the tank and there was no sign off him being eaten because the other fish is small compared to the missing one. I don't have any animals and no one was home that day. I looked every where and i can not find him. The white fish seemed in shock and its blood had raised to the surface of her skin because she looked weird and was swimming round and round the tank. There was no sign she had eaten him no blood or bones, skin etc. I have a small pump but the bottom is covered so he wouldn't of gone up there + i pulled it apart to check.

Please help
Nicki:ermm:

The more important issue is that the red in the veins is likely ammonia poisoning. Do you have a test kit? Test the water if you do. Ammonia should be .25 or less. Do 75% water change test again but likely you'll be doing several more changes.

Do a search here on AA on ammonia poisoning in "unhealthy fish" follow directions. Post on the "unhealthy fish" if you can't get it under control. You may need medication.

You should look up and read about "fish in" cycling for your tank in articles section. Your filter will build up beneficial bacteria (bb) in the pad which converts the waste products into less and less toxic stuff.

Make sure you use water conditioner to dechlorinate/condition the water and since our tap water has additives to kill bacteria to keep it safe for drinking, it will also kill good bacteria as well. This is bad since we need bb to keep our tank water safe for fish. The bb needs to multiply enough to handle the waste from the the fish excrement, uneaten food and decaying plant material. This takes time and is called to "cycle" your tank. Goldfish are big eaters and waste producers. Meanwhile the fish can suffer Ammonia or Nitrate poisoning.

Never rinse/clean your filter pads in the tap water as it will kill your bb. You can use treated tap water or old tank water for cleaning them and don't throw them away just rinse well and reuse till they fall apart.

When you are changing the water please make it the same as possible to the temp of the tank water.

First to Answer your original question.

Yes fish vanish. I have had two fish vanish on me without any clue as to where they went. I looked everywhere in the tank. I tore the tank apart and couldn't find any trace of my fish. I assumed two things. My Pleco might have eaten the fish that were missing, or they somehow jumped out of my tank and the cats got them.

I did have a Betta jump and found it behind the counter. I couldn't believe he jumped, being the lid was on tight and the only space for him to jump seemed smaller than his body. Yet there he was dead and dried up. :-(

So yes fish vanish without warning. I am sure if you look under every crack you can you might find your missing fish. They will flop if out of water, and you be surprised where they can flop too.

As far as cycling your tank. Follow the advice given on this website. A lot of people do the mistake of fish in cycle and it hurts the pocket book, as well as cost lives of fish. You will find a lot of good helpful advice here on this website. :p

Back
Top Bottom