which is better freshwater or saltwater??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It goes both ways really. I find BASIC freshwater setups good for beginners and it got me prepared for SW. I could however, moved on like Rook and fort, and done planted tanks (which I'm a little scared to do :b). There's really beauty in both.

yeah,i once saw a saltwater fish for 300 dollars.the most ive seen for a freshwater fish was 200 dollars.and ive only seen the freshwater one on the internet,ive seen multiple stores carrying the saltwater one.

Look up a platinum arowana, seen one go for thousands.

But I've also seen multiple times (usually sharks or eels) fish going for almost that much as well

I'm not trying to say SW is better, because like I said earlier I'd love to have some amazing FW planted tanks (but that's a whole 'nother learning experience, and IMO scarier to set up than SW. CO2 and ferts and whatnot seem so complicated to me)

Look up a platinum arowana, seen one go for thousands.

But I've also seen multiple times (usually sharks or eels) fish going for almost that much as well

I'm not trying to say SW is better, because like I said earlier I'd love to have some amazing FW planted tanks (but that's a whole 'nother learning experience, and IMO scarier to set up than SW. CO2 and ferts and whatnot seem so complicated to me)

oh my god...thats a lot of money

This is a SALTY!
img_1309177_0_190da19a679996b2d0d2db44f10290ff.jpg

To me, freshwater is better. Salt is too hard and too expensive for me right now, and I really love the fish in freshwater. My little fish babies are so cute!

Wow, this is kind of a hard one to answer. I've had freshwater, brackish and saltwater; all of them have their own qualities. I absolutely love a great planted tank. I love watching the fish (discus in particular) swim in and out of the plants. Brackish tanks are awesome because the fish are oddballs. I love watching the archer fish shoot krill out of my hand.

I'm gonna have to say that saltwater would have to be my favorite though. I can watch my tank for hours. The fish are gorgeous and the lifeforms on the LR are absolutely fascinating.

After having a tank my whole life and coming up on freshwater, after switching to saltwater I must say the intricacies and diversity of owning a saltwater tank is much more rewarding than freshwater.

I've always gravitated towards the 'unique' fish on both sides. My freshwater tank had an African Ghost Knife, an Elephant Nose, a Sicilian Black Worm and the usual Black Marble Angles, a Clown Loach etc. Nicely landscaped with some petrified rock, bubblewall, live plants and the such. Do some water changes, wash a filter and that was it... the tank always stayed the same...simple and easy. However, with saltwater, I find the longer the tank thrives, the more things grow... Coraline Algae, Tiny Star Fish pods, sand sifting snails. The fish are much more exciting in my opinion too. I have a Pinatus Batfish I've kept in captivity for over 2yrs. The colors and variety of the fish are amazing, especially colors under the right lighting. Soon, I hope to move into the coral phase of saltwater. Opening my eyes to a whole new world of beauty. As far as filtration and water changes go, some may say too much work, but if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life.

Either one will always be a matter of opinion. Freshwater is an excellent gateway into the hobby. But if you really want to get involved and enjoy a challenge, you will move into saltwater. If freshwater is a planet, saltwater is the universe. After all, it usually starts with a fish, in a bowl, on a table.

That's my opinion.
J

Hey Mr.Micro,

If freshwater is a planet, saltwater is the universe. After all, it usually starts with a fish, in a bowl, on a table.

I have to say thats the best way I've had that put.

yeah,i once saw a saltwater fish for 300 dollars

I recently saw a 3" Volitan Lionfish selling for $199.00 at the local Petland. They also had a Blue Hepatus for $129.00. I do not buy my fish from there as obviously they are ridiculous in they're prices. But they have under-qualified staff, especially the 'manager' and the tanks are horrible!! Truly embarrassing if i were them. I do like to look when getting dog treats there.. it's a bitter-sweet pleasure.

I guess my point is $$$$ isn't always relative. However, it's a safe bet that saltwater fish will ALWAYS be a bigger investment then freshwater. After all a freshwater hobbyist can, if chose too, walk into the LFS and buy Neons 3 for $5, some Mollies, Angels and maybe a Pleco, and have a tank full of fish for maybe a $50 - $75 investment.. Saltwater will get you 1 fish and a couple of crabs, snails and maybe a choco starfish.

I am minimizing the scenario just to make a point.

I like saltwater much better, I have seen some nice freshwater but for the most part in my opinion freshwater fish are gold, silver, black or white just not enough color for me

There's tons of color in freshwater. Guppies are very colorful, and orange laser cories. They're not drab, IMO.

I'm not agreeing that there's no color in FW, because that's not true, but the colors are different in SW. There's an obvious difference, making it easy to form a preference.

Freshwater

I have to say that freshwater is the best. I think it is much easier to handle

Back
Top Bottom