Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #21

It goes both ways really. I find BASIC freshwater setups good for beginners and it got me prepared for SW. I could however, moved on like Rook and fort, and done planted tanks (which I'm a little scared to do :b). There's really beauty in both.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alLexX View Post
yeah,i once saw a saltwater fish for 300 dollars.the most ive seen for a freshwater fish was 200 dollars.and ive only seen the freshwater one on the internet,ive seen multiple stores carrying the saltwater one.

Look up a platinum arowana, seen one go for thousands.

But I've also seen multiple times (usually sharks or eels) fish going for almost that much as well

I'm not trying to say SW is better, because like I said earlier I'd love to have some amazing FW planted tanks (but that's a whole 'nother learning experience, and IMO scarier to set up than SW. CO2 and ferts and whatnot seem so complicated to me)

Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreamInSaltwater View Post
Look up a platinum arowana, seen one go for thousands.

But I've also seen multiple times (usually sharks or eels) fish going for almost that much as well

I'm not trying to say SW is better, because like I said earlier I'd love to have some amazing FW planted tanks (but that's a whole 'nother learning experience, and IMO scarier to set up than SW. CO2 and ferts and whatnot seem so complicated to me)
oh my god...thats a lot of money
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

This isn't a money contest, it's which is more popular/better
Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a SALTY!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

To me, freshwater is better. Salt is too hard and too expensive for me right now, and I really love the fish in freshwater. My little fish babies are so cute!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I started with salt and now I have both. i love salt for its colors and fresh for the simpleness.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Saltwater is my choice. It's just personal preference.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, this is kind of a hard one to answer. I've had freshwater, brackish and saltwater; all of them have their own qualities. I absolutely love a great planted tank. I love watching the fish (discus in particular) swim in and out of the plants. Brackish tanks are awesome because the fish are oddballs. I love watching the archer fish shoot krill out of my hand.

I'm gonna have to say that saltwater would have to be my favorite though. I can watch my tank for hours. The fish are gorgeous and the lifeforms on the LR are absolutely fascinating.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

After having a tank my whole life and coming up on freshwater, after switching to saltwater I must say the intricacies and diversity of owning a saltwater tank is much more rewarding than freshwater.

I've always gravitated towards the 'unique' fish on both sides. My freshwater tank had an African Ghost Knife, an Elephant Nose, a Sicilian Black Worm and the usual Black Marble Angles, a Clown Loach etc. Nicely landscaped with some petrified rock, bubblewall, live plants and the such. Do some water changes, wash a filter and that was it... the tank always stayed the same...simple and easy. However, with saltwater, I find the longer the tank thrives, the more things grow... Coraline Algae, Tiny Star Fish pods, sand sifting snails. The fish are much more exciting in my opinion too. I have a Pinatus Batfish I've kept in captivity for over 2yrs. The colors and variety of the fish are amazing, especially colors under the right lighting. Soon, I hope to move into the coral phase of saltwater. Opening my eyes to a whole new world of beauty. As far as filtration and water changes go, some may say too much work, but if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life.

Either one will always be a matter of opinion. Freshwater is an excellent gateway into the hobby. But if you really want to get involved and enjoy a challenge, you will move into saltwater. If freshwater is a planet, saltwater is the universe. After all, it usually starts with a fish, in a bowl, on a table.

That's my opinion.
J

Tags
freshwater, ich, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com