Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
 
BillyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Western NY
Posts: 4,064


I went with cat because it was the only one without an "o" in it.


but, to me, these types of questions can have more than one "right" answer. If he says cow and gives a legitimate, and correct, reason behind it and I were grading papers I would mark it as correct with the reason given. After you give him credit for his answer, give him the answer you were looking for and explain it to him. There is often more than one correct solution to problems in life. I think that's as important to learn as many other leasons.
__________________

__________________
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ


I went with cat because it was the only one without an "o" in it.
OMG it's amazing how many different trains of thought one could take before answering that question :P
__________________

__________________
http://talloulou.smugmug.com/
talloulou is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 12:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
I used to teach school and I see where the "correct" answer comes from, but to be honest, my first thought was cow as well. Were they learning about farm animals or anything like that or was this just kind of a random thing?
It was just a worksheet full of which one of these is not like the other questions....

but it's funny the stuff my son has trouble with. For example the other day he had a homework sheet that pictured 6 chain links on the side of the paper. Then there was a list of things that you were supposed to measure against the chain link and then decide if the object was longer, shorter, or close. He listed everything as shorter or longer and nothing as close. I told him the pencil looked "close to" the size of the 6 linked chains. But he didn't like the "close" option. Everything was longer or shorter. He understands the concept of "equal" but doesn't like the concept of close.

Luckily his teacher (the substitute I was worried about) is awesome. I just hope he likes his actual teacher when she comes back.
__________________
http://talloulou.smugmug.com/
talloulou is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
God of primitive fishes
 
Toirtis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,163
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Give the school hell for this, it discourages intellegent/creative thinking....I had it out with a local school board a number of years ago when I found out that they had language arts tests that asked what certain poems meant (or what the author was saying), and these questions had a single correct answer.
__________________
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
Menagerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 13,232
I came up with wolf since it has 4 letters.

What is the "real" reason wolf is correct (did I miss it)?
__________________

Menagerie is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #16
God of primitive fishes
 
Toirtis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,163
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menagerie
I came up with wolf since it has 4 letters.

What is the "real" reason wolf is correct (did I miss it)?
The other three are domesticated, wolves are not generally.
__________________
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
Menagerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 13,232
What grade is this for???
__________________

Menagerie is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
Give the school hell for this, it discourages intellegent/creative thinking....I had it out with a local school board a number of years ago when I found out that they had language arts tests that asked what certain poems meant (or what the author was saying), and these questions had a single correct answer.
Well it wasn't a big deal really....so I don't feel the need to give them hell...yet :P :P Maybe in the future over something that seems like a bigger deal.

I remember having an argument with my third grade teacher over adding an s to the word people. The teacher was saying that people would never be peoples because people was already plural. But I had seen peoples and peoples was in the dictionary so I fought for the fact that you could add an s. The teacher was giving a basic lesson on plural vs singular but I just got stuck on the fact that people could be peoples in certain cases. I'm sure I drove the poor teacher crazy making a mountain out of a molehill and completely disrupting the point of her lesson. I'm hoping my son doesn't drive his teachers too crazy. God bless them, lord knows they aren't paid enough.
__________________
http://talloulou.smugmug.com/
talloulou is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus
 
austinsdad's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Accokeek, Maryland
Posts: 7,694
OK. Not hell, but you should encourage him to talk with his teacher about his reasoning. I thought it was outstanding and he did a very good job with it. No, not a "you're wrong teacher!!" approach, but a rational discussion would be in order.

As mentioned before, he should be encouraged to know there may be more than one right answer sometime, and further, that he should be able to speak his mind ans ask for intelligent discussion.
__________________
-Ray-

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline  
Old 09-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #20
God of primitive fishes
 
Toirtis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,163
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
As mentioned before, he should be encouraged to know there may be more than one right answer sometime,
As should the teacher....
__________________

__________________
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.