Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #1

which state is illegal

anyone know how to check which state is legal for red Arowanas
or which state is illegal?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

dunno...from googling it, it looks like it's not a state law issue, it's a Fish & Wildlife department issue because it's an endangered species. I've read posts that say it's illegal to sell, but others that say if they're farm-raised in the US (not imported) then it's legal. Might be worth looking up on the Fish & Wildlife department website.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Off their website

7/25/2002~California Man Indicted for Importing Endangered Asian Fish into Oregon

Quote:
Asian arowana have three natural color variations: golden, red, and green. Breeders in Asia have created several other variations by interbreeding the fish. Due to their great demand, Asian arowana can sell for as much as $10,000, depending on the variety and quality. Wild populations of Asian arowana have severely declined, causing them to be listed as an Appendix I species under the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). Trading of the wild fish is illegal. However, 23 CITES-registered breeding facilities in Asia are producing fish that can be exported for sale. These fish are legal to export to Canada and elsewhere, but not to the United States, where they are protected and the importation of either captive-bred or wild Asian arowana is prohibited.
The 'trading' part seems to apply, but it seems this article applies to 'trade' as import/export, not domestic - this article was about a guy that set up a business to raise them and used it as a front to illegally import them from Asia. So I wonder if that means it is not illegal to buy them in the US from a US based seller?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the site ill give it a look.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

the red asian arows? they are illegal in all states. its a fed ban on CITE fish if i remember correctly.

Quote:
So I wonder if that means it is not illegal to buy them in the US from a US based seller?
only ones that are legal to buy are the ones pre ban. illegal to import so any ones that been smuggled in are also illegal to sell.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #6

So even with paperwork u still cant own one?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just went on a tour of a brand new aquatic teaching facility in the Des Moines school district as part of a tank tour with our Reef Society. The gentleman who heads up that department gave us the tour, and he used to be the head aquarist for the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines. We had a discussion that interesting enough covered this exact topic - Asian Arowana. He has worked closely with the Fish & Wildlife Department, they would call him to the airport every time something came through that needed to be confiscated basically. I asked him point blank about your question and his response was that they are flat out illegal to own in the US. He also said that the only way that anyone could ever get in trouble is if it was reported. As an example, there is a nail salon on the south side of town here that has a big Red Arowana right in the front display of their store, and the F&W officer drives by it all the time, but he can't do a darn thing about it since no one has reported it to him.

So I think this basically answers your question. You cannot own them. I did not ask him if they were legal to own pre-ban, however you would probably have to prove that, and you certainly couldn't sell one in that situation or buy one that is currently 'grandfathered' if there even is such a policy.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #8

Thanks for the info Floyd. I Appreciate the help.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com