White round things in tank since the addition of mollies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syderin23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some background info:
I have a 23 gal freshwater tank currently stocked with three corydoras catfish, an aquatic frog, and recently added, three mollies. Since the addition of the mollies yesterday, I have noticed small round white things attached to the wall, the heater, and the filter. At first I assumed they were eggs, but obviously that doesn’t make any sense because they are live bearers. Please help, thank you. IMG_8455.jpg

Update: they are also all over my plastic plants, but not the tank ornaments.

It would also help to note that yesterday I completely moved the tank from one place to another. I had to empty pretty much all the water out, I used the vacuum and managed to harvest about nine gallons of the original water, and then added five gallons of distilled water, and filled the rest with tap water, as well as the appropriate amount of water conditioner. The cories and the frog have not been showing any signs of stress since the move. The gravel was vacuumed in the process, and we do have hard water, if that has any impact on things.

Your Tank

Some background info:
I have a 23 gal freshwater tank currently stocked with three corydoras catfish, an aquatic frog, and recently added, three mollies. Since the addition of the mollies yesterday, I have noticed small round white things attached to the wall, the heater, and the filter. At first I assumed they were eggs, but obviously that doesn’t make any sense because they are live bearers. Please help, thank you. View attachment 304313

Hello sy...

Hard to say what this is. However, I can tell you that each tank has a different environment that develops over the life of the tank. If you keep the water extremely clean all the time, whatever grows will be of benefit to the tank. It's extremely difficult, if not impossible for infections or parasites to live in clean surroundings and infect healthy fish.

I wouldn't worry about this as long as you're following a sound water change routine. You should be removing and replacing half the water a couple of times a week. This is especially important for sensitive fish like Mollies.

One more thing, Mollies are very territorial and will become aggressive if they feel crowded. Your 23 gallon tank is very small for Mollies.

B

Mollie's have babys, not eggs. They carry the eggs to full term. Do u have snails at all? Them lay eggs on glass. And Male mollies get aggressive when there's not enough female Mollie's in the tank. That tank size is fine. Anyways, if u don't have snails, then it's gotta be something in the water. Probably just a single cell algae from tap water. Harmless. U could crank up the heat alittle. See if it goes away.

Mollie's have babys, not eggs. They carry the eggs to full term. Do u have snails at all? Them lay eggs on glass. And Male mollies get aggressive when there's not enough female Mollie's in the tank. That tank size is fine. Anyways, if u don't have snails, then it's gotta be something in the water. Probably just a single cell algae from tap water. Harmless. U could crank up the heat alittle. See if it goes away.

The ones that were stuck to the heater are now gone, but the ones on the plants and filter are still there, as far as I know. I’m in class at the moment and won’t be home for another two hours to check. I don’t have any snails, only those three mollies, the frog, and the three catfish. Had an issue with oodinium about a month ago that killed off most of my fish.

Awww, that sucks! If u dealt with that, I'd probably start heating that tank up good and warm. Just to be safe. And keep a very close eye on your Mollie's. They get Ick easy. Dealing with optimism it could b back. It's gotta find a host within 48 hours to eat off of or it will die. Heat it up.

Awww, that sucks! If u dealt with that, I'd probably start heating that tank up good and warm. Just to be safe. And keep a very close eye on your Mollie's. They get Ick easy. Dealing with optimism it could b back. It's gotta find a host within 48 hours to eat off of or it will die. Heat it up.

I’m almost positive the oodinium is gone, I took good care of the water, balanced the ph, and covered the tank for three days. (Because oodinium needs light to survive)

Just watch your fish and how they act. They'll let you know. and test your water here and there.

what have you added to your tank recently ? any live plants or rock from a planted tank
or anything added from another tank in general . as those do look like snail eggs
another thought is if you used a piece of media to seed your tank while cycling ect
just throwing out ideas of some of the ways they can hitch a ride did you use a heater from another tank , decorations

what have you added to your tank recently ? any live plants or rock from a planted tank
or anything added from another tank in general . as those do look like snail eggs
another thought is if you used a piece of media to seed your tank while cycling ect
just throwing out ideas of some of the ways they can hitch a ride did you use a heater from another tank , decorations

Just the water from the bag the mollies came in. I could take a trip to the pet store and see if there were any snails in the tank the mollies were in? However they also have a joint filtration system, so that could be the case, however, nothing was in the water when they were in the bag, and how would this many have made their way into my tank?

Probably the cories then. Massive water changes, especially if the new water was cooler often provokes spawning in cories.

Probably the cories then. Massive water changes, especially if the new water was cooler often provokes spawning in cories.

Oooh... cory babies doesn’t sound half bad. Will they actually hatch? And what would I have to do to keep them alive?

Just the water from the bag the mollies came in. I could take a trip to the pet store and see if there were any snails in the tank the mollies were in? However they also have a joint filtration system, so that could be the case, however, nothing was in the water when they were in the bag, and how would this many have made their way into my tank?

one small snail hiding in a corner of the bag all it takes is 1 snail to lay eggs
we always recommend never adding water from the bag fish were transported in acclimate than add fish with a net never use nasty store tank water

Back
Top Bottom