Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2005, 01:06 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Oh, he cant do this!

Cant leave us hangin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
Old 01-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #102
AA Team Emeritus

We don't need to wait:

Richard Feynman was born on May 11, 1918, in Queens, New York. By age 15, he had mastered differential and integral calculus. In 1936, he attended MIT, and took every physics course offered. Later he went to Princeton for graduate studies. His interests in subatomic physics, he embarked on a lifelong quest to clarify the mathematics of a subatomic world. Feynman finished his Ph.D., and married his longtime sweetheart, Arline Greenbaum. She was already very ill with tuberculosis. In 1942, Feynman was asked to go to Los Alamos. Hans Bethe made the 24 year old Feynman a group leader in the theoretical division. Feynman worked on estimating how much uranium would be needed to achieve critical mass.

He developed many experimental devices to test his hypothesis without blowing up Los Alamos. When Oakridge ran into safety problems while separating uranium it was Feynman who devised procedures to protect the staff from radiation poisoning. Arline passed away on June 16, 1945. After the war, he followed Hans Bethe to Cornell University. It was here that Feynman developed a simple notation to describe the complex behavior of subatomic particles. This notation became known as Feynman Diagrams.

In the 1950s, he moved to Cal Tech. In 1965, he, along with Julian Schwinger and Shinichiro Tomonaga, shared the Nobel Prize in Physics for work in quantum electrodynamics. Feynman's popular lecture series was published in "The Feynman Lectures". The personal side of Feynman was captured in "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" and "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" Feynman is also known for his work on the Space Shuttle Challenger accident investigation. He shocked the world by demonstrating the failure of the O-rings. Feynman died February 15, 1988 at the age of 69, from several rare forms of cancer.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry guys, I was watching my gmail account for replies to the thread but, since it's still in beta, it doesn't always work. And of course Danio is correct, Richard Feynman is the answer. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner
Old 01-16-2005, 09:00 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice Activist

Born in 1821, I was called the 'Angel of the Battlefield' during the civil war. I was comissioned by President Lincoln to search and compile a list of missing prisoners. Because of my work, many families knew the outcome of their loved ones during this time. I worked behind the German lines during the Franco Prussian war of 1870 for the International Red Cross. Upon my return, I organized and headed the American Red Cross.

"I have an almost complete disregard of precedent and a faith in the possibility of something better. It irritates me to be told how things always have been done .... I defy the tyranny of precedent. I cannot afford the luxury of a closed mind. I go for anything new that might improve the past. "

(I just had to add the quote because I think it's cool.)
Old 01-16-2005, 09:03 AM   #105
AA Team Emeritus

Florence Nightingale
Old 01-16-2005, 09:11 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clara Barton.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:44 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, Clara Barton....I had to do one about a nurse.

JChillin, Nightingale was famous during the Crimean War and her main claim to fame is handwashing. Such a simple thing that has saved so many lives.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #108
AA Team Emeritus

Yep, I knew that (not the part about the Crimean war...the hand washing). I always get those two mixed up
Old 01-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

This one might be too easy..... I was born in England in 1940 during the "blitz" My father Freddie (who was a merchant seaman), and my mother Julia (who was a free spirit and didn't feel she could raise me), abandoned me to be raised by an aunt. Growing up in working class England I attended art school and taught myself to play a little guitar. I formed a band which I named the Quarrymen in the late 50s.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #110
AA Team Emeritus

John Lennon!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com