Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've said for years that we need an Internet standard "sarcasm font" among other things.
Sometimes we will go into a thread with the best of intentions, and things get taken way out of context or blown out of proportion. It's very easy to begin writing with the mindset of gentle advice, and by the end of it, it's a rant. A thick skin helps.
That being said, sometimes we (including myself here) will see the same mistakes made so many times that it is very difficult not to get upset. For example, temperature, food, and filtration are all very well and good, but no goldfish belongs in a 20 gallon. I'm not trying to single out the OP here, but it's part of the thread. It certainly sounds like a better setup than some I've heard of, but still inadequate for the fish's long term health.
It can be difficult to make statements like that without sounding confrontational. But some things need to be said. The important thing is to not instantly get your back up, and allow it to be a discussion, not a fight.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

I +1 about people being too sensitive. I read your original post and jlk's post and I didn't see anything wrong with it. I actually didn't see him be rude, hostile, or whatever you wanna call it. We are all adults here, no one needs to cry over spilt milk. Or a goldfish in the wrong tank.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #23
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
I've said for years that we need an Internet standard "sarcasm font" among other things.
This would be nice.
Quote:
Sometimes we will go into a thread with the best of intentions, and things get taken way out of context or blown out of proportion. It's very easy to begin writing with the mindset of gentle advice, and by the end of it, it's a rant. A thick skin helps.
That being said, sometimes we (including myself here) will see the same mistakes made so many times that it is very difficult not to get upset. For example, temperature, food, and filtration are all very well and good, but no goldfish belongs in a 20 gallon. I'm not trying to single out the OP here, but it's part of the thread. It certainly sounds like a better setup than some I've heard of, but still inadequate for the fish's long term health.
How does being in a 20g affect the long term health of a single fancy goldfish?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
How does being in a 20g affect the long term health of a single fancy goldfish?
Really? I think you already know the answer, I could name a few.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post

I could name 10 that's wrong with the set up. Lol
Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

I thought with fancy goldfish, it was 20 for the first, and 10 for each additional one?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #27
come get me tang police!

Quote:

Okay, I think it's a fair question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljk09 View Post

I could name 10 that's wrong with the set up. Lol
Please do.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBoy17 View Post

I thought with fancy goldfish, it was 20 for the first, and 10 for each additional one?
It is. But with the mollies and guppy or whatever else she has in the tank she is over stocked. And incorrectly stocked but that's already been stated.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

See there- you're not alone... I think I'm probably guilty of seeming like a snob sometimes and I know I don't mean it. EVERYBODY makes mistakes, sometimes people get false information from the pet store/ lfs and come here because they honestly care enough to open themselves up to criticism. Here is my ugly side with the rebuttal.
When you ask a question without giving the full details you open yourself up to criticism by the aquarium forum Dudley Doright God of fish police throat jumping, new one tearing closed minded aquarists who believe that everyone not playing by their particular teachings are horrible fish abusers. You should know this when you post and just don't read the ones that you know in your heart aren't relevant, because all there is here is a bunch of opinions, and you know what they say about those
I'm more of an experience sharer/ story teller, I've been corrected and criticized, but hey, this is the interweb after all, lol.
Don't let it get to you, weed out the people with their noses in the air and just chat with those that are actually answering your question.
I had a small black moore, a medium fantail and a medium comet in a 20g for a little while because mom was building her first indoor pond. You sound like you have it under control.... Laugh it off
Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Okay, I think it's a fair question.
I'm not going to debate minimum stocking requirements as this is leading away from the original thread but you and I both know a 8-10+" fish that lives for 15-20 years has no business in a 20g tank. You can say what you will for the mases to look impartial but I'm calling shenanigans on that opinion.

Closed Thread

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com