Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljk09 View Post

It is. But with the mollies and guppy or whatever else she has in the tank she is over stocked. And incorrectly stocked but that's already been stated.
But if you were to read her post, she already stated that once it has grown a little more, she would be able to get a bigger tank. So I think that critiquing on an issue that an answer has already been established for is one of the many problems the OP is ranting about. And I'm with Jeta, I would love for you to come up with reasons why this is wrong.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBoy17 View Post

I thought with fancy goldfish, it was 20 for the first, and 10 for each additional one?
Considering fancy goldfish, if given the chance to grow in a larger more natural habitat, can get upwards of 12 inches a 20g isn't ideal for a forever home, but I've seen people do worse- at least there's some consideration in set up medium and flow...

Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post

Considering fancy goldfish, if given the chance to grow in a larger more natural habitat, can get upwards of 12 inches a 20g isn't ideal for a forever home, but I've seen people do worse- at least there's some consideration in set up medium and flow...
Actually, the mutation in most fancy goldfish limits their growth either way, making their max length dramatically shorter then the original common goldfish is.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBoy17 View Post

But if you were to read her post, she already stated that once it has grown a little more, she would be able to get a bigger tank. So I think that critiquing on an issue that an answer has already been established for is one of the many problems the OP is ranting about. And I'm with Jeta, I would love for you to come up with reasons why this is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Okay, I think it's a fair question.

Please do.
1.goldfish are cold water fish. Not tropical fish. Their temps are preferred to be in high 60's to low 70's. they can tolerate warmer waters for short periods of time but causes stress and possibly stunts growth

2 Molly's prefer to be in groups of 4 or more because they are schooling fish.

3 Molly's are found in warmer waters, not like the goldfish.

4 fancy goldfish can grow to unimaginable sizes. I've seen 2 orandas bigger than my hand and I'm not a tiny hand individual. Would you like to be put in a tank that's only a few inches wider than you are in length?

5 guppies also prefer to be in groups of more than 1 fish

6 sometimes plecos are caught sucking the slime coat off of goldfish. I'm not 100% on the specific species that does this but I'd want to be more safe than sorry.

If you give me some time I'm sure ill figure out some more. But those are what I can come up with now.

But please feel free to correct or critique my post in anyways. You won't hurt my feelings any.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #35
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I'm not going to debate minimum stocking requirements as this is leading away from the original thread but you and I both know a 8-10" fish that lives for 15-20 years has no business in a 20g tank. You can say what you will for the mases to look impartial but I'm calling shenanigans on that opinion.
It has nothing to do with being impartial, or anyone else in the thread. How long does it take a fancy goldfish to get 10", if ever? It is a little off the direct topic, but it's not that far off, because varying opinions are part of what the rant is about.

What's the issue, stunting? At what point does a fancy goldfish get stunted (more than it already is, since most have been bred to grow almost in a semi circle rather than laterally)? Water quality, maybe?

Is it cruel to keep a fancy goldfish in a 20g? Why? How are we defining 'long term'? A few years is a pretty long term, as well as 20+. If we really want to get all ethical about it there could be a plausible argument made that we should all boycott fancy goldfish for some of the freakish monstrosities that are commonplace in the hobby today. Many get up in arms about balloon rams and balloon mollies, and this is the same thing on an extreme level.

Are we still throwing opinions around or is there some actual data that we can work with?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, opinions, my friends, this thread is pretty much arguing with itself to argue... Over someone who has (at this time) has a small assorted stock that aren't necessarily normal tank mates- here's one for the hounds chomping at the bit- tattooed and dye injected fish- go! Lol
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #37
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljk09 View Post
1.goldfish are cold water fish. Not tropical fish. Their temps are preferred to be in high 60's to low 70's. they can tolerate warmer waters for short periods of time but causes stress and possibly stunts growth
Who determined that, exactly? Do we have any case studies on this at all? It's hard to give a wild example since these fish have never existed in the wild in this form. If you look at the common carp it's pretty much spread over every zone in the US including subtropical. Here's a quote from a document about the Prussian carp, which is supposedly the closest relative of goldfish and where they were derived from.
http://www.frammandearter.se/0/2engl...us_gibelio.pdf
Quote:
Habitat(s) in which
species occurs
The Prussian carp is a warmwater fish, and thrives best in shallow
lagoons and estuaries (with a depth of just a few metres), shallow
pools and lakes, and slow-flowing rivers with muddy beds. The species
is associated with dense vegetation and feeds mainly on benthic
organisms. Like other members of the carp family, Prussian carp is a
freshwater fish, but can cope with salinities of up to around 3 psu, and
possibly as high as about 6 psu. It can also
Quote:
2 Molly's prefer to be in groups of 4 or more because they are schooling fish.
They aren't, although I can say I've seen them in large schools in the wild, but that's not unusual for many smaller fish species.
Quote:
3 Molly's are found in warmer waters, not like the goldfish.
see above. Interesting to note, both seem to be estuarine, I've found mollies in full fresh and full strength seawater, I don't know if prussian carp are considered to be euryhaline as well. I have no idea how to convert PSU to SG so I don't know exactly how brackish they are talking in that link.
Quote:
4 fancy goldfish can grow to unimaginable sizes. I've seen 2 orandas bigger than my hand and I'm not a tiny hand individual. Would you like to be put in a tank that's only a few inches wider than you are in length?
We do it all the time with oscars and other species of fish. What's the common recommendation for a 12-14" oscar, a 12" wide 55g, or better, a 18" wide 75g, still only a few inches to spare. Just pointing out kind of a double standard that is sometimes held in the industry.

Quote:
5 guppies also prefer to be in groups of more than 1 fish
I agree, I was primarily talking about the goldfish in a 20g thing more than that exact stock list.

Quote:
6 sometimes plecos are caught sucking the slime coat off of goldfish. I'm not 100% on the specific species that does this but I'd want to be more safe than sorry.
I've heard reports of this with a few species of fish, discus and angels also come to mind. I've not had it happen with mine, or know anyone personally who has. Even still, with the amount of people who keep plecos with slow/large bodied fish, and the relatively small number of reports, I don't think it's a very common event or even worth being cautious over, personally.
If you give me some time I'm sure ill figure out some more. But those are what I can come up with now.

Quote:
But please feel free to correct or critique my post in anyways. You won't hurt my feelings any.
Your wish is my command Nothing personal at all, I like and respect everyone in this thread, I just have a differing view of some things is all.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #38
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktomminello View Post
tattooed and dye injected fish- go! Lol
!!!evil&ugly!!! Lol
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Are we still throwing opinions around or is there some actual data that we can work with?
I'd wager over ninety percent of your "expert" responses to threads on this site are based your opinions without scientific data to back it up, so how would this be any different than those?

We all know what the old saying about opinions is, they're like...well you know the rest.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #40
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I'd wager over ninety percent of your "expert" responses to threads on this site are based your opinions without scientific data to back it up, so how would this be any different than those?

We all know what the old saying about opinions is, they're like...well you know the rest.
Sure they are, most of it is opinion after all. But when someone says 'X setup just won't work', it's a good idea to be able to efficiently explain why it wouldn't work, especially when someone questions it.

Note that I said 'we' in that statement, I was implicating myself as well.

Closed Thread

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com