Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I do definitly

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Had a small 10g quarantine tank, but now it's a Betta tank.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a small tank with running filter. Spare heaters and filters also available if I need them.
20 litre tropical - underway
Neo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfreak
Had a small 10g quarantine tank, but now it's a Betta tank.
Lol that's what I did too :P
I have a 5 and 20, one has fry and one has koi(QT until march 1st)
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did NOT have a QT and when putting new fish in my 55 Gal. I introduced something bad and I lost some old and new fish. It's a long-story (on another thread) but I will never make that mistake again. I got a decently priced kit from Petco last night.

I'm expecting to be setting up a donated fish tank at my school and will insist that I be able to set up a QT somewhere. Actually, the nurses office is a good place for one.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keeping a QT Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyperson3010 View Post
Hi
Who here has a quarantine tank?

Thanks
Hello fishy...

I know I'm going to go against a lot of "expert advice" with this statement, but here goes. You can save the money to keep and maintain a quarantine tank by doing two things: Know the source of your fish and plants. Rinse the plants well in tap water and then keep them in a bucket of your water change water for 24 hours. As for the fish, examine them carefully. If they have good color and shape and in general appear healthy, they don't have to be quarantined.

I have a "Plan B" just in case a fish or plant may have a parasite that survives my rinsing or inspection. I add a little more than a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of my water change water. The majority of fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of dissolved salt in the tank water and I've read it helps maintain the fishes' immune system.

Weekly, large water changes of at least 50 percent of the tank volume will keep the enviornment stable for the fish and plants. Healthy fish in a stable environment aren't very likely to be infected by parasites.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B
Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a QT that is holding 6 silver hatchetfish right now. I don't keep it set up all the time--only when I need it. In my 27-gallon tank, I keep a Hydro IV sponge filter along with my regular AquaClear 50 filter. When I need a QT or hospital tank, I just move the sponge filter into my extra tank and--voila! Instant cycle!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have one that I keep running always. It is cycled and has snails in it. When I have a sick fish, I move the snails to the other tanks, test the water and add the sick fish and treat. Then when all is done, I use carbon to clean up the meds and clean the tank to the nesaccary extent then put the snails back in. It's always cycled and ready for anything!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like a great way to use a QT. so your snails produce enough waste to keep your QT tank cycled?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen31972 View Post
Sounds like a great way to use a QT. so your snails produce enough waste to keep your QT tank cycled?
I guess so because I have the water tested every month and it's perfect. It's such a cute little tank too. I used to keep it bare bottom with one plastic plant, but found that way to be unsuccessful for fish that need quarentine for a long period of time. It's not really that easy to use a turkey baster or tube to collect debris off the bottom...and the glass gets covered in algae after just a week of quarentining in such condition.

Also, the fish are not secure in a bare tank like that adding to stress. So, in this tank I have substrate and some plastic plants and a piece of driftwood. Some might not agree with this setup for a QT, but it works great for me! I love it!

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com