Who/What is Harlequin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Weaver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I understand this is less about aquariums and more about marine biology in general, but this is my best source. I have realized that several marine species are named after "Harlequin" (Harlequin Tusk, Harlequin Shrimp, Harlequin Rasbora, etc). I tried looking him up, and found nothing about the person, but that there is also a Harlequin Duck... Can anyone help clarify where the name "Harlequin" comes from? Thank you.

The Joker's girlfriend. Oh wait, that's Harley Quinn... Hehe, j/k HN1 is right on, it's a stock character from Italian theatre. They're mostly called harlequin because of their patterning and coloration!

cheeky_monkey said:
Here I was thinking it was after the colour?

It is, the harlequin in Commedia del Arte wore what we think of now as a jester's costume. Patchwork of different colors. I'm a theatre dork as well as a fish dork, haha!

Reactions: HN1
Okay, thank you all for helping me out with that, I got confused after seeing so many different critters (marine and not) named "Harlequin".:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom