Who's Jacked for shark week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I love shark week, it is fascinating to see great whites explode from the water. I wish I had a 100,000 tank to keep one in. Lol. What's your favorite episodes, part, sharks, off shark week.

Discovery has gone the way of MTV...they used to air educational programming, now it's all pseudo-reality cr@p and completely fictitious material passed off as true (like the megalodon show on Sunday night).

Discovery has gone the way of MTV...they used to air educational programming, now it's all pseudo-reality cr@p and completely fictitious material passed off as true (like the megalodon show on Sunday night).

True. I miss the old animal planet, but I love the show tanked. Have you seen it.

Careful about mentioning Tanked. Its quite a controversial topic on here. ;)

I watch it for entertainment. I cringe at the stocking they do in the tanks.

These pseudo-reality shows are cheaper for the networks, the "stars" don't have to be SAG members, and they unfortunately bring in the ratings (and the money).

Real educational TV is relegated to public television and even that is dying on the vine.

Haha I don't think they are passing off the megaladon show as fact, it's for curiosity and entertainment! Also, there's only so much we can learn about sharks.. Shark weeks been going on for how long now? I mean... It's gotten to the point where they just try new crazy things and show things like the megaladon show for fun! I love shark week and I enjoy all the shows no matter how crazy they may be!

It's been on for 28 years, and I've watched almost every year. It was started as a way to show that sharks aren't cold blooded killers, but the show on Sunday undid all of that.

If they wanted to do a 2 hr show on megalodon, fine, but do it as a real documentary, no some fake people killed/eaten/attacked by a mysterious shark mockumentary.

From Discovery Channel Owes Its Audience An Apology After Airing Bogus Megalodon Mockumentary | WIL WHEATON dot NET :

Wil Wheaton said:
I love Shark Week, and every year since it started airing on Discovery Channel, I’ve planted myself in front of the television to watch every minute of it.

So last night, I tuned in to watch the first entry in this year’s sharkstravaganza: a documentary about one of the coolest megasharks ever, the prehistoric Megalodon. This thing was freaking huge, with teeth the size of an adult human’s hand, and it is very, very extinct. Discovery’s special started out with what appeared to be “found footage” of some people on a fishing boat that gets hit and sunk by something huge … and I immediately knew something was amiss. The “found footage” was shot the way a professional photographer shoots things, not the way a vacationer holds their video camera. There was no logical way the camera could survive the salt water for the footage to be found. The footage was alleged to have been found in April … but then it got so much worse: Discovery Channel started Shark Week with a completely fake, completely made-up, completely bulls**t “documentary” and they lied to their audience about it. They presented it as real.

I turned the show off after about 15 minutes, and watched Breaking Bad on Netflix to get ready for that show’s final season. But I was having a hard time staying focused, because I was angry, and I couldn’t figure out why. Why bother getting upset about yet another stupid “found footage” fake documentary passed off as real? Isn’t that pretty much par for the course on cable these days?

And then I realized why I was (and am) so angry: I care about education. I care about science. I care about inspiring people to learn about the world and universe around us. Sharks are fascinating, and megalodon was an absolutely incredible creature! Discovery had a chance to get its audience thinking about what the oceans were like when megalodon roamed and hunted in them. It had a chance to even show what could possibly happen if there were something that large and predatory in the ocean today … but Discovery Channel did not do that. In a cynical ploy for ratings, the network deliberately lied to its audience and presented fiction as fact. Discovery Channel betrayed its audience.

An entire generation has grown up watching Discovery Channel, learning about science and biology and physics, and that generation trusts Discovery Channel. We tune into Discovery Channel programming with the reasonable expectation that whatever we’re going to watch will be informative and truthful. We can trust Discovery Channel to educate us and our children about the world around us! That’s why we watch it in the first place!

Last night, Discovery Channel betrayed that trust during its biggest viewing week of the year. Discovery Channel isn’t run by stupid people, and this was not some kind of mistake. Someone made a deliberate choice to present a work of fiction that is more suited for the SyFy channel as a truthful and factual documentary. That is disgusting, and whoever made that decision should be ashamed.

If this had happened on just about any other network, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal. But Discovery Channel is more than just disposable entertainment on cable television. Discovery Channel inspired an entire generation to “explore your world”, and it is trusted to be truthful. Discovery Channel says its mission is to satisfy curiosity and make a difference in people’s lives by providing the highest quality content, services and products that entertain, engage and enlighten. There is nothing high quality or enlightening about deliberately misleading your audience during what is historically an informative and awesome week of programming. At the very least, Discovery should have made it very clear at the beginning that this was a “What if?” work of complete fiction, presented in a documentary format. Throwing up a 5 second disclaimer at the end of the program just isn’t good enough.

Discovery Channel has a rare chance to apologize to its audience: this year, the network is running a live aftershow with guests from the night’s programming. Someone from the network should use this platform and opportunity to address the audience, apologize for deliberately misleading them, and recommit to providing the highest quality content this week, and every other week out of the year.

I think that the megalondon once existed, but only a long time ago. It would be terrifying if there are still a few out there.

DC has been doing shark week for a LONG time, they are running out of new material. Guess that's why they did the whole megaladon thing.

DC has been doing shark week for a LONG time, they are running out of new material. Guess that's why they did the whole megaladon thing.

They could have pulled material from 25+ years ago and reshot it w/ the same script. I don't remember what I watched 25 years ago, so it would be "new" to me.

Back
Top Bottom