Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2003, 09:11 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you know that fish first evolved in FW? The move to brackish and then SW was a later developement.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:08 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you give a link etc. to further substantiate that statement? I'm very interested.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Quote:
Did you know that fish first evolved in FW? The move to brackish and then SW was a later developement.
I dont agree with that statement and would like to see where it came from! IF you believe in evolution which i may and may not im not sure, well that cant be true! Just for the fact is evolution believes that the world at one time was a mass of water after the melt of the ice age....and you dont see FW fish in SW oceans.

I believe and this is my opinion on top of what i wrote in my first reply is that I believe its for survival. Someone stated that "survival of the fittest" but he said it was for mating. Survival is refered to LIVING. We all know that most fish dont breed overly often with a couple exceptions. Lets all look at the Powder Blue as an example one of the most colorful and beautiful fish. Theirs a few major colors white, black, blue, and yellow.
These colors i believe are in certain spots for camoflage, blue is mostly the body blend with the water more easily, yellow corals and black night. Fish also tend to lighten in color during the night, possible for the fact to blend in more. Lawnmower blennies for example can vibrate their colors (have seen mine do it) not drastically but a little. An octopus can change colors to blend into its surrondings and the list keeps going on.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:13 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure vertebrates, including fish, first evolved in the ocean in the ordovician period (about 500 million years ago). That's why I would love to read something that's states otherwise. I'm not trying to offend BrianNY, just curious where that info was obtained.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:41 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe in creationism y'all 8)

The "millions of years" thing never happened on this earth.

Anyway here's one of the links I like regarding this subject.

http://www.creationism.org/topbar/creationism.htm
Old 11-24-2003, 12:54 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

8O riiiiight. proof shmoof. Tangible facts, what do they mean.... EVERYTHING.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:59 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

MT, my best friend is a chemist, he doesn't side with most of those views either.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:13 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

what does that mean? B/c he is a chemist he understands the universe? Einstein is famous because he TRIED to, but he couldn't explain everything. Sum up in your own words what a "creationist" believes in. Help me understand.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:51 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey not to worry, I'm not offended. Debate is healthy. I didn't mean to retry Scopes either (lol).

Where did I get my info for such a brash statement? Every Monday evening there's a program on the Science Channel called "Prehistoric Planet". I recommend it to anyone interested in our worlds natural history. This is where I heard it. I'll try and and find something further to substantiate the claim that vertebrate evolution began in FW.

As for creationism vs. evolution, I find the argument for evolution too compelling to simply dismiss it. So would most bioligists IMO. People being people will believe what they feel comfortable believing.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:12 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
This is just my own suggestion, but I think this thread is taking a turn towards a different tangent. This debate of creation vs evolution was on another forum I visit (Not even aquarium related) and reached well over 1000+ posts. If this debate is to continue (And so far its peaceful and without flaming) I would suggest a new thread be created. I don't care if its debated or anything, just this is the wrong thread for it.

In other news...

My personal opinion is that they simply have different environments. That's it. Desert lizards are tans, jungle lizards are greens. Fish living in bright colorful reefs are bright and colorful. Fish living in rivers and streams with sandy/muddy bottoms and lower light levels are darker colors (Note: I used darker, not dull)

Tags
freshwater, salt, saltwater, saltwater fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com