Why do my tanks smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fish tanks have recently started to smell really bad. I cleaned them yesterday and they still smell? How can I eliminate the smell?

Ok. What size is the tank? What kind of fish do you have, and how many are in there? Some fish are obviously messy than others. Just trying to find the root of the problem to help out, sorry for all the questions.

Ok. What size is the tank? What kind of fish do you have, and how many are in there? Some fish are obviously messy than others. Just trying to find the root of the problem to help out, sorry for all the questions.

No it's fine but a 55 gallon tank with 5 medium sized fancy goldfish two bristlenose plecos and two ghost shrimp.

Goldfish are messy fish, I forgot to mention how much filtration you have. That could be playing a factor. Hopefully someone else can chime in here. I'm not sure why you would be having such a bad smell from the tank that you can smell it from other areas of the house from your information that you've given.

I also forgot to mention there is 2 55 gallon tanks in the same room the one I mentioned and another with 4 koi and a very small leopard sailfin pleco. The 55 gallon with Goldie's has one 75 gallon bio wheel penguin 350 filter and the koi tank has the same filter and a magnum 200 canister filter.

And when you smell the tanks up close they don't even smell that bad? That's what I find weird?

Seems to me that you may not have enough filtration breaking down the gold fishes waste. Could it be the other tank? 4 koi in a 55 is grossly overstocked as they need to be in a pond. They produce LOTS of waste. Both tanks are overstocked. I'm thinking your filtration can't keep up with the waste they produce.

Seems to me that you may not have enough filtration breaking down the gold fishes waste. Could it be the other tank? 4 koi in a 55 is grossly overstocked as they need to be in a pond. They produce LOTS of waste. Both tanks are overstocked. I'm thinking your filtration can't keep up with the waste they produce.

Yeah I'm trying to find a 125 gallon and building a pond for the koi if the weather would warm up. And I was thinking the same thing but I've had one tank for a year and the other for about 6 months and they've never smelt before?

They're growing and producing more and more waste, at least thats what I presume and why you may have not smelled anything earlier. Good luck with the pond!

True so should I invest in a second filter for the goldfish tank for now? And thanks!

If money isn't a issue I would go ahead and add one unless you think you'll have that 125 sooner than later.

If money isn't a issue I would go ahead and add one unless you think you'll have that 125 sooner than later.

I'll get a 125 as soon as I find one for under 500$. That comes with stand and filters and stuff so I'm not positive when I'll get it haha.

Back
Top Bottom