Why do you keep fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cause they're quieter than kids?

Now seriously, because I love the worlds I can create for them. Because some of them seem to have such human quirks. Awesome personalities.

My hobby is keeping saltwater chemically balanced in a glass cube. Adding fish, invertibrates, corals, and sand makes it a real challenge.

"If riding in an airplane is called flying, why isn't riding in a boat called swimming?"

Used to keep a goldfish, watching him would really mellow me out. Now I have a son, 15mos, and he went nuts about the fish tanks at this local restaurant so... I have spent a lot of money, but am finding again that they relax me, and I love watching my boy watch them and try to say fish. "gish!"

It is very peaceful to swim in the reefs with the fishes and then be able to mimic those environments in your own house.

I keep them because I enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction. They're quite soothing to watch and fall asleep to the sound of the running water from the filters. Keeping fish is more of an addiction now

My boyfriend says that I am going to watch the nature channel again. I love taking a kitchen chair, having coffee in the morning after a long nights work, watching my tank, feeding the fish, doing water changes. I like seeing them interact, seeing how they look in there, and just everythign about it...

My hobby is keeping saltwater chemically balanced in a glass cube. Adding fish, invertibrates, corals, and sand makes it a real challenge.

"If riding in an airplane is called flying, why isn't riding in a boat called swimming?"

Fantastic.

BC caring for my 7month old daughter isn't challenging enough. I do like the balance of science and aesthetics too; just like when I cook.

I've grown up around aquariums and they've influenced my decision to pursue a degree in biology. Creating these little ecosystems is absolutely fascinating and just watching your fish go about their day is more hypnotic than any TV program could be. I love creating these little worlds, with them I bring a little chunk of a distant ecosystem into my home. And without them, there wouldn't be this awesome community that we have here! :)

I agree with everyone else, they are just so relaxing. The headache that they me be once in awhile is nothing to being able to set and look into a healthy tank and just get lost in their world.

I bought a 55 gallon tank for my husband for Father's Day last year. I figured that he and our little boy could enjoy something together. Little did I know that I was going to be the one maintaining the darn thing! lol

However, despite the challenges I've been faced w/ lately, it has actually been a great learning experience! Plus, there's no better feeling than coming home from a long, stressful day at work to sit down for a few minutes and watch the fish! :D

To be honest I originally only got my tank for ascetic reasons ie. How impressive it looks when you walk into a room with a large beautiful looking aquarium. But from the moment I bought my first fish its completely became about them! It's an addiction!, my missus complains coz everytime I buy something new and put it in my tank it always followed by ' and next week I NEED to get......' lol

The whole family finds having fish relaxing/interesting/extended part of the family.

Im normally busy with keeping the aquarium clean etc, but since the aquahome is set up with the guppy babies, my wife is all hands to the pump and taking care and quite proud of how far they (the fry) have come on now. My son and daughter help with the feeding and with water changes (only adding the dechlorinator;)) but every bit helps.

Its the one thing in life you almost have complete control over. Almost.
and nothing mellows me out like a cold beer and a good fish stare.

It's aesthetics to me. I love watching the fish of course, but I'm planning on majoring in Interior Design, so the tank is like a piece of furniture to me. It's the focal point of a room. And I just really love watching the fish, ha.

Back
Top Bottom